PRE ORDER SALE! Coarse, Calcined Diatomaceous Earth

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
LOL you can message me as well. If you have seen unfired DE, it is likely more similar to akadama in that it can smash between your fingers when wet.

This product is Calcined fired in a (rotary kiln) not just dried so it is much harder than unfired DE.
I am curious about the calcination process used by this particular manufacturer. Companies often use metal or alkalai type fluxes in the calcination processes. The other question would be whether it has been bonded to create larger particle size. I think they refer to that process as aggomleration which involves spraying a " plastic" bonding agent on the finer particles.
From a Bonsai soil component perspective it would be interesting to know how the manufacturing process changes the DE other than to harden the structure.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I am curious about the calcination process used by this particular manufacturer. Companies often use metal or alkalai type fluxes in the calcination processes. The other question would be whether it has been bonded to create larger particle size. I think they refer to that process as aggomleration which involves spraying a " plastic" bonding agent on the finer particles.
From a Bonsai soil component perspective it would be interesting to know how the manufacturing process changes the DE other than to harden the structure.

If I get a chance I will ask them.

Scrixx

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Is there an expected delivery date? Just looking for a general idea. Plus or minus a week is okay.

zero

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
where can I get some of this nowadays? Cant find DE like this anywhere

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Milehigh hasnt been seen on the forum in over a year.
I hope he is ok

Top Bottom