Pretty raw Trident

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Through no fault of my own, this tree found its way into my yard last year and I tended it minimally. I'm probably going to cut some things back hard but the first order or business is getting it repotted.

Attachments

• IMG_3016.JPG
    IMG_3016.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_3017.JPG
    IMG_3017.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_3018.JPG
    IMG_3018.JPG
    203.7 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_3019.JPG
    IMG_3019.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 352

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Those pictures are awful. Sorry about that.

My favorite part of this tree so far: the mistletoe.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
So you could make this a proud addition to your collection?
I see enough to say someone who doesn't have a big trident could have fun with this one and probably turn it into something decent. Without knowing how the roots are, I'm assuming it's going to need root grafts, it needs to have those chop scars dealt with, and it needs to be shortened and a new leader started, and the branches need to be regrown.... like I said- a project tree.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I see enough to say someone who doesn't have a big trident could have fun with this one and probably turn it into something decent. Without knowing how the roots are, I'm assuming it's going to need root grafts, it needs to have those chop scars dealt with, and it needs to be shortened and a new leader started, and the branches need to be regrown.... like I said- a project tree.
Ok fair enough. I guess we just disagree on what we are willing to waste time on. Obviously I’m jaded being in California. Material like that is reserved for the raffle table but in fly-over country that might be pure gold. ?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ok fair enough. I guess we just disagree on what we are willing to waste time on. Obviously I’m jaded being in California. Material like that is reserved for the raffle table but in fly-over country that might be pure gold. ?
You should never assume to know what someone is willing to spend time working on. This trident maple is better than 90% plus of all the other tridents that get posted here. A few years ago, I would’ve taken this one into my backyard and worked on it for a while, but I’ve got plenty a project trees right now. Anyway, back to another day in “fly-over” country
34BC9A3A-EBC3-4E56-A35E-BF6C034B7020.jpegA3823A49-30CD-4690-908A-C698EB8001D1.jpeg6649BF7E-F520-4128-9045-55C7663EA9E0.jpeg

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I always kind of thought of Fresno as part of "flyover country" (I've flown over it a bunch of times on the way to San Fran or Monterey :) ) but have to agree with the Smokeman on this one. Way too much work needed for me.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You should never assume to know what someone is willing to spend time working on. This trident maple is better than 90% plus of all the other tridents that get posted here.
Oh I assume nothing. Thirteen years here has taught me that working on good material is in the minority here and many are eager to argue about it. I’m just shocked at the rally cry to defend it rather than call it what it is. That’s ok. Not my tree and not my time. I do have the time to watch though and would love to watch Wayne give this a go and make it better. Hell better still I would really love to see what you would do with this. Being this is better than 90 + percent posted here. That’s a pretty big statement.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I always kind of thought of Fresno as part of "flyover country" (I've flown over it a bunch of times on the way to San Fran or Monterey :) ) but have to agree with the Smokeman on this one. Way too much work needed for me.
I think it is determined by states, not cities?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Oh I assume nothing. Thirteen years here has taught me that working on good material is in the minority here and many are eager to argue about it. I’m just shocked at the rally cry to defend it rather than call it what it is. That’s ok. Not my tree and not my time. I do have the time to watch though and would love to watch Wayne give this a go and make it better. Hell better still I would really love to see what you would do with this. Being this is better than 90 + percent posted here. That’s a pretty big statement.
Get me the tree and come back in 10 years and you're on! The more I look at it, the more I like it!

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it is determined by states, not cities?
Well...some seem to refer to it as everything not on the coasts (so think NYC, Boston, SF, LA) while others extend the definition to exclude the entire state. I'm in NY state but do consider this area to be part of fly-over country - the Rochester area is not a major destination and once you get out of the city and suburbs it has a very midwestern feel (landscape/use and politically). Fresno is probably similar. Though both have significance in the "bonsai world".

As for the tree being discussed here and "10 years", I would think one could take a trident seedling and, in the right climate and with the right technique, build a tree as good or better than the tree that would result from working on this one for the same period of time.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well...some seem to refer to it as everything not on the coasts (so think NYC, Boston, SF, LA) while others extend the definition to exclude the entire state. I'm in NY state but do consider this area to be part of fly-over country - the Rochester area is not a major destination and once you get out of the city and suburbs it has a very midwestern feel (landscape/use and politically). Fresno is probably similar. Though both have significance in the "bonsai world".

As for the tree being discussed here and "10 years", I would think one could take a trident seedling and, in the right climate and with the right technique, build a tree as good or better than the tree that would result from working on this one for the same period of time.
I agree on the tree.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
As mentioned, it was thru no fault of my own that this tree came to my backyard. I believe it to be full of faults. I'd point them out but I'm pretty sure you see them. I mentioned that what I found most favorable about the tree was that it played host to a parasite. I hope no one was hurt due to their reaction to this tree. Also, I don't think SC's a flyover state. If TV market rankings are any indication of population density, then I sit at 36 and you appear to be at 55. (https://www.stationindex.com/tv/tv-markets) I always thought flyover states were in the midwest. Maybe you need to get out more. (Maybe I do. ??)

@Dav4 , if you'd like to pursue this pissing match with @Smoke I can be convinced to let it go though I don't have any trips to ATL planned anytime soon. (Though we could meet at @Adair M 's place.) In the meantime/otherwise, I'll just study it a little more and try to come up with a plan. I've got a few ideas, but need to work out the order of operations. Sadly, I think the mistletoe is going to have to go.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
i'd say the only thing you have going for it, is that it looks different from the imported tridents. it looks like it was field grown for a long time and just hacked back a lot without any great deal of care or vision. it has some taper though. a carving project maybe.....fairy tale image depending on tastes, could be possible
or the main tree in a trident maple forest, i think that could work if you can get your hands on a few thinner trunks.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
As mentioned, it was thru no fault of my own that this tree came to my backyard. I believe it to be full of faults. I'd point them out but I'm pretty sure you see them. I mentioned that what I found most favorable about the tree was that it played host to a parasite. I hope no one was hurt due to their reaction to this tree. Also, I don't think SC's a flyover state. If TV market rankings are any indication of population density, then I sit at 36 and you appear to be at 55. (https://www.stationindex.com/tv/tv-markets) I always thought flyover states were in the midwest. Maybe you need to get out more. (Maybe I do. ??)

@Dav4 , if you'd like to pursue this pissing match with @Smoke I can be convinced to let it go though I don't have any trips to ATL planned anytime soon. (Though we could meet at @Adair M 's place.) In the meantime/otherwise, I'll just study it a little more and try to come up with a plan. I've got a few ideas, but need to work out the order of operations. Sadly, I think the mistletoe is going to have to go.
If it were to magically appear in my yard one day, I'd call that a sign from the universe to start another progressive thread. Until that happens, I'll look forward to any updates of its progress with you.

Top Bottom