Procumbens rework

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This is a procumbens I have been working with for about 6 years. Originally a very unhealthy tree that I passed on at the nursery the firt time I saw it. However, about half a year later, the tree was still there and had some new buds. I bought it and nursed it back to full health then began working on it. It went through some styling changes for the first 4 years. However, it always had a dramatic, too dramatic for me, sweep to the right. Also, from a health perspective, with the lean to the side and forward, the front bottom half of the tree was not getting enough sun.

I have been planning a redo on this tree for about a year. The first pic is the tree out of winter storage. Over the years, I have noticed a challenge with slender trunked more elegant trees. That is keeping the silhouette in scale to the trunk. With a thick trunk tree, a larger silhoutte can be passable. With a thinner trunk tree, it is tough to not let the tree outgrow the silhouette, much wiring, pulling branches down and in and chasing the foliage back are constant concerns.

This tree will be put in a nice pot this season.

Rob

Copyofb1_zpsa7e7523d.jpg

Copyofj3_zps2644ec9d.jpg

Last edited:

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
It IS nice, but I think it would be even nicer with a little less top. (And at least shorten one of the bar-branch jin. I think I'd just get rid of the top one.)

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.. A nice pot will make this tree stand out more, as well as showing the bottom of the trunk with the shari.

Hi jkl.. Ya, I thought about the top. However, for health reasons, I did not want to chase back the growth any more. Well see, I might just let it grow wild again and then cut back again next year.

You are spot on about the jins. Thanks for seeing that. I will most likely be getting rid of the top one.

Rob

Last edited:

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Another great tree, if you don't mind me asking who have you learned from along the way? Or did you just learn from practicing on your own? I'm impressed with the transformations you've been posting lately.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tree looks very nice!

Sort of following up on Beng's comments - you wrote that the tree was "unhealthy" and that you "nursed it back to health". Can you comment a little more on this? Was the root system compromised, was it infested (mites, etc)? What steps did you take to ensure it's recovery?

I'm asking because junipers in general (and procumbens in particular) have been giving me fits...I can't seem to keep them healthy. I've got a couple that I need to nurse back to health.

Chris

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Another great tree, if you don't mind me asking who have you learned from along the way? Or did you just learn from practicing on your own? I'm impressed with the transformations you've been posting lately.

Thank you very much. Suthin Sukolsolvisit was my first bonsai teacher. My next teacher was John Romano. There was also another thing that played a big part. I am at the bonsai nursery often. Sometimes studying, sometimes helping out or working there. The nursery hosts visiting masters throughout the season. Some are top masters from Japan. When they are there, they work on many trees and/or do demonstrations. I sometimes watch what they do, but I also walk around the nursery and study the trees they have styled. Also as you have suspected, lots of time on my own studying Japanese form and aesthetics.

Thank you for liking my work. I hope to post quite a few nice trees this season.

Rob

Last edited:

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Tree looks very nice!

Sort of following up on Beng's comments - you wrote that the tree was "unhealthy" and that you "nursed it back to health". Can you comment a little more on this? Was the root system compromised, was it infested (mites, etc)? What steps did you take to ensure it's recovery?

I'm asking because junipers in general (and procumbens in particular) have been giving me fits...I can't seem to keep them healthy. I've got a couple that I need to nurse back to health.

Chris

Thank you Chris.. Procumbens can be tough. The foliage takes more time to train. Also, when parts start dying, it can make the foliage even more messy looking. I originally passsed on this tree at the nursery becasue I did not think it would make it. However, 1/2 a year later, I saw new buds on parts of the tree and thought, this tree wants to live. I took it home and kept it in a place that did not go below 60 degrees and gor a moderate amount of sun. The tree started to recover somewhat on its own. When it recovered a bit more, it was repotted it was root pruned slightly and put into the pot it is in now. I believe it was a root issue. If I remember correctly, about 20% of the root ball was dead. I removed those roots and put the tree in great soil. Once again, not exposing the tree to any cold after the repot. Within about 2 years after purchase, the tree had regained complete health. There is one branch on the right that is weaker than all the rest. I am hoping that one strenghtens up. However, that one branch has always been behind the rest.

The soil mix is akadama, lava rock and pumice.

Rob

Last edited:

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Suthins a great guy, even though his nurseries closed I meant to stop by and visit him last year but wasn't able to make the trip. I used to make twice yearly trips to his garden and learn from him. Hope to see him again some day. Many of my trees originated from his back "in progress" stash next to his greenhouse. I hope he's doing well and enjoying the peacefulness of just enjoying his own trees rather then it being a fulltime business. ;)

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Suthin is a great guy and in high demand now. After many years, his name is finally well known. I knew how great he was 10 years ago. It has only been within the last 7 years or so that his name has become more main stream. He travels all over the country now.

When his nursery was open, I would visit once or twice a month during the season.

Rob

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Great styling Rob! Another nice one, can't wait to see it in a new pot.

Thanks Tom..I have more trees to work on, so I hope to post some more stuff soon. I'll be up at the nursery Saturday, so I'll probably see you then.

Rob

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Not much for me to add. All is being said but great work Rob! Keep it up my friend!

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Lots of wiring love Rob, looks great.

Guys you won't get this look unless you put in the time wiring, that tilted photo just makes it jump to life. Thumbs up

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Did you say you never let it drop below 60? In a greenhouse for winter? Or is that just until it has established itself after a repot?

Last edited:

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Lots of wiring love Rob, looks great.

Guys you won't get this look unless you put in the time wiring, that tilted photo just makes it jump to life. Thumbs up

Thank you very much Bill. Yup, the whole tree is wired. Right up to the individual green little tufts of foliage.

Rob

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Did you say you never let it drop below 60? In a greenhouse for winter? Or is that just until it has established itself after a repot?

When originally purchased it was not a healthy tree. I believe I purchased it around mid winter. For the rest of the season, the tree was kept not lower than 60 degrees. When it regained full health it was put in normal winter storage conditions over the last 4 winters. Typical upper 20's to upper 40's degrees F.

Rob

Top Bottom