Proposal: Rebooting a tree contest

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
All of our contests right now are currently dedicated to using saplings or new starter material. There are a lot of (good!) reasons to do that, especially availability of material, but all of those contests focus on the same skill set. Would anyone be interested in a contest for re-imagining damaged trees? I'd love to see some creative solutions to big challenges. Time to show off peg grafts/branch relocation, wedge cuts, heavy bends and live vein separation!

Two inspiration threads off the top of my head:
Proposed Rules:
  • Starting material must be a mid-development, late-development or refined tree. Something that has a clearly defined vision or future
  • The tree has sustained significant enough damage to reboot the tree differently. Maybe the apex died, a major/branch trunk was lost, rot or scarring somehow developed
  • A four year timeframe for the contest? It seems like most of the transformation work is relatively quick, though I think a proper peg graft/branch relocation would take at least three years
Possible variation:
Nursing very unhealthy trees back to a vigorous state, like when @Adair M found an Itoigawa in bad shape due to pinching or sharing and slowly replaced all the foliage

Judging and prizes:
I've got very few ideas so far, gonna need some help here. Ideally we'd be trying to refine the rescued tree as much as possible. Possible criteria:
  • Cohesiveness of the renewed artistic vision
  • Bigger, more creative transformations are better
  • Minimized/disguised scars and original damage
Anyone interested?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
It would appear that approximately half of my bonsai collection would be appropriate for this contest!

JK, but I definitely have a few that would be eligible :) .

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You call it rebooting a tree. I call it budget constraints. :)

Top Bottom