Prunus Mume Propagation by Hardwood Cuttings During Early Winter - The Peter Adams Method

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Any suggestions on soil composition perhaps when they go outdoors in spring? Tnx in advance.

Use the same media blend you would use for apple, or maple bonsai. Adjust particle size to be appropriate for the pot size. Small pot, a fine particle. Larger pot, a more coarse blend.

Sieve your media to eliminate extremely fine and coarse particles.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm giving this another go after zero success last year. I took a bunch of cuttings of all different sizes about two weeks ago from a dawn variety I have. dipped in hormone, put cut ends into damp sphagnum moss and into the bag they go. no callous yet, buds swelling a bit. Anything i should be doing different?

This thread is interesting in that there is reference to planting out even if there is no callous? i'll keep mine in the fridge for 8 weeks and see where I'm at. i want this to work so bad!

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
I'm giving this another go after zero success last year. I took a bunch of cuttings of all different sizes about two weeks ago from a dawn variety I have. dipped in hormone, put cut ends into damp sphagnum moss and into the bag they go. no callous yet, buds swelling a bit. Anything i should be doing different?

This thread is interesting in that there is reference to planting out even if there is no callous? i'll keep mine in the fridge for 8 weeks and see where I'm at. i want this to work so bad!
I had 2 out of about 30 winter cuttings root, but both have seen their swelling buds now dry up in recent weeks. They still have the leaves I left on them though and roots are still looking healthy.

I had better luck with semi-hardwood spring cuttings with about 6 out of 20 rooted.

Both the winter and spring cuttings are still in my make-shift propagation box/greenhouse so time will tell once I start moving them out.

I’m in the southern hemisphere BTW.

The single hardwood winter cutting that survived from last season is developing nicely and should be able to go into a mame pot next spring.

IMG_8418.jpeg

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
This year I was working with misting rooter trying semi-hardwood cuttings of varieties: Beni Chidori and Omoi No Mama. Took several months (from May or June till end of September) but Beni Chidori had a great ratio of rooted cuttings - like 80%. Omoi No Mama was not so successful - about 30-40% rooted. I replanted them into common soil and left outside for winter.

My attempts at winter rooting cuttings always failed with mold unfortunately... So mostly gave up on this method.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

There is an advantage to leave the cuttings in the fridge until callus develops. higher success if callus develops before the cutting is placed in warmer temperatures. The timing varies for location of course but the highest success rate for me is when I do the cuttings as soon as the leaves begin to drop.
The reason for the advantage is you wish to slow the new leaf bud formation and opening until callus is formed and new root formation beginning! This shortens the length of time the cutting needs to rely on reserves within the cutting! Keeping the cutting in cooler temperatures slows the process.

B-Trees

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I'm trying hardwood cuttings for the 2nd year, zero success last year. I have a few street trees (which I'm propagating seeds from) and one 'Hokkai Bungo' from Brent as sources. HB airlayer did not work last year, I'm gonna try thread grafting some of those branches off onto the seed-grown stock after the blooms are done in mid January. Will update

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Leafing out means very little. It’s better than not, certainly. I’m particularly encouraged by the secondary push of growth that’s happening now.

(My Sango Kaku cuttings beside them aren’t very happy right now.)

Attachments

• EEBE57FE-F731-456D-96DD-2E235BA6B457.jpeg
    EEBE57FE-F731-456D-96DD-2E235BA6B457.jpeg
    362.4 KB · Views: 25

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Leafing out means very little. It’s better than not, certainly. I’m particularly encouraged by the secondary push of growth that’s happening now.

(My Sango Kaku cuttings beside them aren’t very happy right now.)
Promising start, keep the humidity up. foliar spray can give them an edge. They do not process too much that way but it can supplement the scion reserves present while developing roots. Well done.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This time of year is awesome. it is neat to see the hardwood cuttings take off with new growth after the blossoms fade! This is one of the 3 yr cuttings beginning to sprout for this years growth. The new growth can attract all sorts of sucking insects so I have already added a preventative dose of systemic granules to the Prunus Mume under development. This 0n is a "Kobai"

IMG_2578.jpeg

Top Bottom