Prunus Mume Propagation by Hardwood Cuttings During Early Winter - The Peter Adams Method

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
After having read trough this interesting thread, I decided to give it a try.

I have this overgrown prunus mume beni-chi-dori, and took 20 cuttings on the 5th of november. Followed the instructions in this thread. Peeked yesterday and found out that on all cuttings the flower buds are swelling considerably. All cuttings look healthy. Should have taken a pic or two, I know...

My plan is to remove the cuttings from the refrigerator at the end of this month, and plant them in a tray. Correct timing? I'll make sure to have some pics then.

Any suggestions on soil composition? Should I add rooting hormone before planting? Store them indoor until spring? Would be stupid to make nasty mistakes now.

Thanks in advance.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My plan is to remove the cuttings from the refrigerator at the end of this month, and plant them in a tray. Correct timing? I'll make sure to have some pics then.
spring is still faaar away. We are in for 10-20F next week. Check yr forecast.

Buuut note: mine are out all winter

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
lowest forecast next 14 days is 28F here. But still too early then I presume? I was planning to store them indoor at around 64F. Bad plan?

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
should verify that. Will keep u posted.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Linn01
I would leave them in the refrigerator until it is safe to put them outdoors in spring. I imagine spring in Belgium is not until April?

Unless you have a greenhouse or a bright indoor light garden set up, leave the cuttings in the refrigerator to keep them dormant.

If they start growing in the refrigerator, then they must come out. Growing would mean your refrigerator is not cold enough to maintain dormancy.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The flower buds on the ones I got from Evergreen are starting to swell! I'd like to ground grow them a la the work @Brian Van Fleet showed in his thread with similar material, though need to ensure they can take our temperatures even in the ground. Otherwise, bigger and bigger cans with regular soil.

I'm hoping to be able to take cuttings and try this next year.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How long should it take for calluses to form? I recall reading 1-2 months but curious about everyone’s experienc. Mine are about 6 weeks and not a callus to be seen in any of them. 😞

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How long should it take for calluses to form? I recall reading 1-2 months but curious about everyone’s experienc. Mine are about 6 weeks and not a callus to be seen in any of them. 😞
some as early as 1 month, others up to 2 months has been my experience. Typically I have discarded if no callus after two months so I cannot say whether it might occur later.

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The thing I missed out was the tip to put the cuttings in a black bag. Exposing the cuttings to fridge light (quiet regularly, since it is my kitchen fridge) might have caused them to start flowering? Useful to use the black bag even now at this stage? Discarding the ones without callus or wait a little longer? I also noticed some black spots on the paper towel, could that be fungi?

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
I just want to say I peeked into this thread a bit and you ume people are CRAZY.

edit: I'm interested in this fridge callous technique now for other species like persimmon

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
As promised some pics of the calluses. I earlier said 9/25 were forming calluses, but I noticed many more, around 17/25. Some more significantly than others.
View attachment 472385

View attachment 472386
Those callouses look a lot like roots! Well done!

I’ve got 1 survivor from about 15 cuttings I managed to callous. Cuttings taken late winter last year (Southern Hemisphere, June 2022). I had them in the fridge for around 4 months, most had started to leaf out. I potted them up around mid October and a few rooted but all except 1 started rotting from the bottom up. The one that’s left is doing ok, some roots are poking out the bottom of the pot but there’s a section of dead tissue near the base. Hopefully it makes it through the rest of summer and the next winter which starts around May/June down here.

I’ll post a photo tomorrow.

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@Linn01
I would leave them in the refrigerator until it is safe to put them outdoors in spring. I imagine spring in Belgium is not until April?

Unless you have a greenhouse or a bright indoor light garden set up, leave the cuttings in the refrigerator to keep them dormant.

If they start growing in the refrigerator, then they must come out. Growing would mean your refrigerator is not cold enough to maintain dormancy.
@ leo taking into account that roots are growing, as shown in pics here above, do i need to take action now?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@ leo taking into account that roots are growing, as shown in pics here above, do i need to take action now?

No, roots grow at near freezing temps, this is normal. Only if buds break and green leaves start to appear do you need to remove them from the refrigerator. Otherwise wait until your normal spring and put them directly outdoors

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
No, roots grow at near freezing temps, this is normal. Only if buds break and green leaves start to appear do you need to remove them from the refrigerator. Otherwise wait until your normal spring and put them directly outdoors
Great! Tnx Leo

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
Those callouses look a lot like roots! Well done!

I’ve got 1 survivor from about 15 cuttings I managed to callous. Cuttings taken late winter last year (Southern Hemisphere, June 2022). I had them in the fridge for around 4 months, most had started to leaf out. I potted them up around mid October and a few rooted but all except 1 started rotting from the bottom up. The one that’s left is doing ok, some roots are poking out the bottom of the pot but there’s a section of dead tissue near the base. Hopefully it makes it through the rest of summer and the next winter which starts around May/June down here.

I’ll post a photo tomorrow.
9734A00B-E5B8-4DA3-830F-E93EB1C033C4.jpegA25A0217-B2A4-4C6D-B3ED-00149B16B7BC.jpeg4E40B8BB-3342-4E13-82BE-939EA01A9437.jpeg

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Any suggestions on soil composition perhaps when they go outdoors in spring? Tnx in advance.

Top Bottom