Purple bougainvillea

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So very beautiful!
Dense branching, too! Bo you have any tips on that? :)
Is this the same tree with the one on the other thread of yours @c54fun ?
Yes same tree but just a top view of the color. Lot of people use the clip and grow method with boogies. I use this and wire to get the results I'm looking for. When its pushing green growth and not flowering, that is the time to fill in weak areas of the tree and cut down on the stronger areas. There are a bunch of week areas still on this tree but its getting there. Hopping this summer will get it all filled in and I can remove wire then go back to just keeping it pruned for shape. The other trees have a lot of work to do.

mrt1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Wow. Beaut of a plant. Luv the purp. ;)

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Thanks pete. I'm still learning about them. Seems like if you let them get on the dry side they flower good.

Dry = flowers and More water = more leaves. Mind you it's in the range of not fully dry but no wet feet. Also they like to be slightly acidic.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Not sure the carving does anything for me but the flowers sure do!

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tree switched from flowering to growing out foliage now. Trimming it every few days and all the gaps are filling up nice. Color looks good and is growing strong. Looked like crap when I got it.
20170618_092908 (Small).jpg

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Tree switched from flowering to growing out foliage now. Trimming it every few days and all the gaps are filling up nice. Color looks good and is growing strong. Looked like crap when I got it.

I agree it looks happy. Here if we want more vegetative growth they go to a shady area while upping the Nitrogen, for flowers to full sun and less Nitrogen.

Grimmy

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Brought this inside today. Removed all the wire. Added some new wire. Pilled the left and right side down to open it up. Probably hard to see in the photo. Did a small amount of trimming.
20170625_173846 (Small).jpg
20170625_183140 (Small).jpg
20170625_185135 (Small).jpg
20170625_174003 (Small).jpg
20170625_185554.jpg

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is it weird that I think it's weird to bring a tree inside to work on it in summer?;):D:D:D:D:D
Man it's gotta be hot there, too much......:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

But still, summer is so fleeting here that when it arrives......well, you can just imagine!!!
chapelle 2.gif

I'm in the sun far too much....o_O:D:D:D:D:D:D

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dry = flowers and More water = more leaves. Mind you it's in the range of not fully dry but no wet feet. Also they like to be slightly acidic.

I haven't heard this before and it has not been true in my experience so far. I would say root bound = more flowers and less green growth. Not pot bound = more green growth and less flowers.
Brought this inside today. Removed all the wire. Added some new wire. Pilled the left and right side down to open it up. Probably hard to see in the photo. Did a small amount of trimming.
View attachment 150706
View attachment 150707
View attachment 150708
View attachment 150709
View attachment 150710

Really nice tree. Great progress but please change that pot.:)

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another trim today. Stating to fill in nice. Back still has some spots that need filled in.
20170728_195755.jpg
The back.
20170728_201129.jpg

Last edited:

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Like the effect!!!!

Dallas? I would think you'll get some more flowering, we can stretch into mid-late Sept. up here.
Considered working the deadwood just a bit more? It could use a little character, seems a bit artificial at the moment.
Looking good, nice and healthy!!! Yessss!!:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Top Bottom