Puuurple clay, puuurple clay~

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
I wanted to make a bright red "cinnabar" type Yixing clay so I bumped up the silica and down-fired a couple cones. The mistake I made was throwing it in reduction with my other pots which gave it a dirty reduced look. In China they fire in a saggar in oxidation and this is why. I will do my future runs in the electric kiln. But the red clay surface itself is excellent, it looks just like the bright red pots I see out of Asia. More to come

DSC_0757.jpg
13" round

DSC_0793.jpg
7" senser-style pot for god knows what

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Yeah good comment. These clays have no grog so they have very high shrinkage rates. If you want to glaze your pots with your stock glazes the pots will shiver and explode. I made that mistake.
i hear you. for me i just need all the help i can get when it comes to shrinkage or i wont even get to a glazing stage.
brutal

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
What kinda shrinkage ....clay shrinkage... issues do you have?

Sorce
...you dont want to know. i surf winters in Massachusetts/RI, sub 32* feb,april, water for 3 hrs after walking thru a foot of snow and surfing, icicles in my beard. jp i was absolutely talking about clay qualities :) @sorce is on to me here haha

i leave you all to it now.

OP, some great looking clay in here, keep up the good work

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
I made a Tokoname-style press mold and used a couple different clays here. These are 18". It only takes about two hours to make a pot this way.

The bottom clay is derived from the chemical analysis of Yixing pottery shards. On paper it is the same clay but of course the raw material isn't quite right.

DSC_0459.JPG
DSC_0461.JPG

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I made a Tokoname-style press mold and used a couple different clays here. These are 18". It only takes about two hours to make a pot this way.

The bottom clay is derived from the chemical analysis of Yixing pottery shards. On paper it is the same clay but of course the raw material isn't quite right.

View attachment 341195
View attachment 341196
😍😍😍😍😍😍

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

View attachment 341195
View attachment 341196
Would you mind going over how you made the press mold?

Reaction score
It would be great if you could post vendors of where to order the materials to mix the clay recipes you’ve been posting. I’ve been wanting to make my own pots since I am stuck at home from the pandemic.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Laguna is close to you.

Generally, folks pickup locally since shipping 50lb bags of powder is......shipping 50lb bags of powder!

I look forward to seeing those pots!

Sorce

Top Bottom