Puuurple clay, puuurple clay~

Reaction score
The Yi Xing clay formulas are published,

It is high fire earthenware 1180 deg.C collapses.

The body has a fine grog, so it dries well.

Fine clay slip is used as a coat over the body and a cow horn
does the burnishing. [ think terra sigillata ]

The colour is often iron oxide, so you can buy purple, red etc.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Our clays fit the Chinese range so it is easy to duplicate.
Good Day
Anthony
I can’t find any recipes. Care to share?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can’t find any recipes. Care to share?

That's the right catalog. They probably have a local distributor for you.

They got MAD clays!

A recipe will depend on, I'd say what temp you can fire to first, then what of those materials your local distributor carries, as they may not keep everything on hand.

Sorce

Reaction score
Im
That's the right catalog. They probably have a local distributor for you.

They got MAD clays!

A recipe will depend on, I'd say what temp you can fire to first, then what of those materials your local distributor carries, as they may not keep everything on hand.

Sorce
Im not too sure what to order.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
I wanted to make a bright red "cinnabar" type Yixing clay so I bumped up the silica and down-fired a couple cones. The mistake I made was throwing it in reduction with my other pots which gave it a dirty reduced look. In China they fire in a saggar in oxidation and this is why. I will do my future runs in the electric kiln. But the red clay surface itself is excellent, it looks just like the bright red pots I see out of Asia. More to come

View attachment 332431
13" round

View attachment 332432
7" senser-style pot for god knows what
7" senser style pot is spectacular.

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
My latest Yixing creation is a 17x12x5" rectangle with cloud feet. I learned a lot just by making this and I plan to make new innovative forms next.

This was mainly to test the clay body and firing process. I made a saggar which made the firing more even, but I have too much flux in the clay so it has too much sheen in my opinion. I like a dryer surface.

1613407348336.png

1613407365392.png

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
My latest Yixing creation is a 17x12x5" rectangle with cloud feet. I learned a lot just by making this and I plan to make new innovative forms next.

This was mainly to test the clay body and firing process. I made a saggar which made the firing more even, but I have too much flux in the clay so it has too much sheen in my opinion. I like a dryer surface.

View attachment 354727

View attachment 354728
Are these made with a mold or plug?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

View attachment 354727

View attachment 354728
Those feet look slick! Do they look the same on the short side of the pot?

Top Bottom