Question about defoliating and repotting an oak

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I hope to repot this oak tomorrow. In earlier posts a few experienced members talked about defoliating their oak tree before repotting. Is it a good idea to defoliate an evergreen oak when repotting?

Attachments

• oak1.jpg
    oak1.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 68

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Nice tree. Do you know the species? Looks to me like a virginiana. If so I don't have experience. If its a coast live oak then I would defoliate if you are going to do a lot of root work. If not I would only partially defoliate removing just the larger and older leaves. This is what I do with my cork oaks.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Agreed, nice tree indeed.

My live oaks just dropped their leaves and got replaced with new ones the past couple of weeks. If it is a live oak (or similar), I bet you can partially defoliate it safely as Paul suggested.

BTW, I bought a live oak last week...chopped it to a stump and did the same with the roots. From 8 feet nursery tree down to less than 12" (including pot). We will see if it survives. :D I did the same on another but smaller one last year...it is doing okay now.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
i believe the idea here is to balance the roots and the top - is that what we're suggesting here guys?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just checked the pics...the other one was chopped 2 years ago (not last year). From 4 feet down to 6" (from top of soil) w/o any leaves left (same as the one done recently).

When I got it (5/19) and after a bit less than 2 months (7/17).

See the rootball loose in the pot? It was rolling w/o the pot (and losing soil) at the back of my in-laws pick-up while traveling 300 miles to me. I also did not know they had it until the following day. Pic was taken while I am re-hydrating it and being soaked. They are tough. ;)

Attachments

• P1120505.jpg
    P1120505.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 27
  • P1130113.jpg
    P1130113.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 28
Top Bottom