Questions about roots on my first tree

brettp98

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I picked up my first tree (Kingsville Boxwood 6-7yrs) last week and I was curious about the roots. The guy told me he re-potted this spring, but the roots are pretty high above the soil. Should I cover them with soil or trim them at some point?

Attachments

• 20240520_102707.jpg
    20240520_102707.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 52
P.S. this picture is before I clipped the dead leaves off.

There are also a bunch of roots below the soil, those roots will live. The high and dry ones are less likely to survive, unless their ends are digging into the soil at some point.
You can cover them with soil if you want, or trim them off.

There are also a bunch of roots below the soil, those roots will live. The high and dry ones are less likely to survive, unless their ends are digging into the soil at some point.
You can cover them with soil if you want, or trim them off.
Thank you for the help! Everyone in the bonsai community has been so helpful!

One feature of very old trees is the surface roots showing around the base of the tree (Japanese word 'Nebari') so we try to do this in the bonsai we create. Unfortunately, some growers misinterpret what is meant by 'nebari' and just leave random roots uncovered when they pot a bonsai. The real aim is to have well placed, thick roots just showing as they grow into the soil - like an old tree. Search images of old bonsai to find good examples.
Really skinny roots left uncovered tend to stay skinny.
Roots entirely exposed look unnatural unless they are part of a planned exposed root style tree.
As mentioned, you have a couple of options: build up soil level to cover the exposed roots, replant the tree lower to cover the exposed roots or simply cut off the smaller exposed roots.
Not knowing how many roots the original grower has left at the last potting of this tree I'd probably just add some more soil for now then reassess the roots at next repot to decide which can be kept and which removed.

One feature of very old trees is the surface roots showing around the base of the tree (Japanese word 'Nebari') so we try to do this in the bonsai we create. Unfortunately, some growers misinterpret what is meant by 'nebari' and just leave random roots uncovered when they pot a bonsai. The real aim is to have well placed, thick roots just showing as they grow into the soil - like an old tree. Search images of old bonsai to find good examples.
Roots entirely exposed look unnatural unless they are part of a planned exposed root style tree.
As mentioned, you have a couple of options: build up soil level to cover the exposed roots, replant the tree lower to cover the exposed roots or simply cut off the smaller exposed roots.
Not knowing how many roots the original grower has left at the last potting of this tree I'd probably just add some more soil for now then reassess the roots at next repot to decide which can be kept and which removed.

Thanks so much for the advice!

Is there a specific type of soil I should use for this tree or Bonsai in general?

Is there a specific type of soil I should use for this tree or Bonsai in general?
Hi there!

Nice boxwood.

As far as soil or substrates go, it's going to vary from person to person. There is a plethora of information on how to make your own bonsai soil mix, if you search the forum here, or on YouTube, etc. Some favor organic while others not so much -- same as fertilizers.

When I first started, I wasn't confident to mix my own, so I purchased some soils made specifically for bonsai on Amazon. But you can do it so much cheaper if you do it yourself.

Here is a high-quality mix:

Here is something very close to my go-to mix:

And there are many other options on mixes out there. A good bonsai substrate is a well-draining one. This allows for water to pass through, ideally retaining some moisture and keeping pH and salts in optimal ranges, but while also allowing for air to get to those roots to supply a steady supply of oxygen.

Check out Modern Bonsai Practice: 501 Principles of Good Bonsai Horticulture by Larry Morton for an in-depth rundown of what you need to know and why it works -- and common myths to avoid falling prey to. There is much more literature out there too.

I wish you luck and hope to see your tree progress.

Hi there!

Nice boxwood.

As far as soil or substrates go, it's going to vary from person to person. There is a plethora of information on how to make your own bonsai soil mix, if you search the forum here, or on YouTube, etc. Some favor organic while others not so much -- same as fertilizers.

When I first started, I wasn't confident to mix my own, so I purchased some soils made specifically for bonsai on Amazon. But you can do it so much cheaper if you do it yourself.

Here is a high-quality mix:

Here is something very close to my go-to mix:

And there are many other options on mixes out there. A good bonsai substrate is a well-draining one. This allows for water to pass through, ideally retaining some moisture and keeping pH and salts in optimal ranges, but while also allowing for air to get to those roots to supply a steady supply of oxygen.

Check out Modern Bonsai Practice: 501 Principles of Good Bonsai Horticulture by Larry Morton for an in-depth rundown of what you need to know and why it works -- and common myths to avoid falling prey to. There is much more literature out there too.

I wish you luck and hope to see your tree progress.
Thanks so much! Everyone has been so helpful!

Thanks so much! Everyone has been so helpful!
You're very welcome and anytime I can help.

This is a great community. I've been here since 2017ish -- lost account info and now have a new one.

But yeah, the members here have taught me a lot over the years. You'll enjoy it here if you want to learn or just talk bonsai.

Back
Top Bottom