Quick repot question, am I too late on these flowering quince and prunus mume?

dacoontz

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As the title says, am I too late? I’m still getting familiar with the flowering trees. Am I too late to repot these based on the bud appearance? It sure happened fast.

Then with the mume does flowers opening count the same as leaf buds when considering timing for repotting?

I’m thinking I totally missed the boat on the #1 quince.

Flowering quince
F91AD1A3-39CA-4A2F-860A-58504B7D7267.jpeg

Flowering quince #2
CB01B667-63C6-4374-B76B-70DE465D1D3B.jpeg

Prunus mume
A63B2346-6AAC-402E-8580-B0FE7583F940.jpeg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Flowering species are often repotted AFTER flowering, even when that means repotting with leaves on the branches.
Any tree can be repotted even after leaf buds start to open.
Repotting can till be done with more advanced leaves open if less roots are removed.

I would have no hesitation repotting with growth at the stage shown in the pics above.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Just FYI I had a pot smash on a Chinese Quince last fall and it needed a full on repot, it has seemed fine. It was young like yours, I think they may be pretty strong.

My understanding is that these are kind of "crazy plants" that do weird, unexpected things like break bud extremely early or keep their leaves through winter (like two of mine have, I'm pretty sure I should take those off). My plan was to repot them around when I was repotting other deciduous when they need it next, but curious to hear how others are dialing in timing.

Top Bottom