Rae's Redbud Bonsai

BonsaiRae

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The first year of the redbud sapling 2019. It was dug out from under a fully grown redbud. It was growing on top of a weed barrier and had 4 main tap roots spread out over the weed barrier. No idea how old it may be. I put it in a pot and crossed my fingers. It gets to over winter in an unheated garage. And pulled out again in spring.

BonsaiRae

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The first years growth was very encouraging. And I just let it be. It remained outside all summer til fall and threat of hard frost. Then into the garage.

BonsaiRae

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It will be interesting in the spring when I take a look at it and see if I need to cut them back. I figure I can cut one and see how it reacts without too much harm...I hope.

BonsaiRae

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
As I read other posts on this site I notice people talking about leaf size reduction. My full sized redbud has 2-4 inch leaves on it but suckers coming from the base of the tree have leaves 6-8 inches. I had noticed when I disturbed the soil and old landscape fabric around it, when we first moved in, that the nutrients were introduced to the root system. That year the leaves were massive. I would say almost 10 inches across. Since then the smaller leaves. Also the leaves of the sapling are only 2-4 inches. So I am thinking that fertilizer or lack of, may be a way to maintain smaller leaves?

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I’m interested in seeing how this tree progresses.
Im trying to air layer one in the front yard, so will be happy to hear of any findings you have. 😀

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I think a redbud bonsai is one that isn't really for display when leafed out, but as a silhouette or when flowering.

That said, defoliation, root restriction, lower Nitrogen levels, are all methods of leaf size reduction.

BonsaiRae

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I’m interested in seeing how this tree progresses.
Im trying to air layer one in the front yard, so will be happy to hear of any findings you have. 😀
I will be interested to see how your air layering goes. I have only watched videos on air layering but it looks like a very good alternative to get a nice trunk going.

BonsaiRae

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I think a redbud bonsai is one that isn't really for display when leafed out, but as a silhouette or when flowering.

That said, defoliation, root restriction, lower Nitrogen levels, are all methods of leaf size reduction.
I agree that a redbud silhouette is very nice to look at. Really hope to see flowers show up in the next year or two.
I want to check roots so will try to pull it out next year just to look. It had a splay of roots, no just one single tap root so I want to see what they are doing. I know I will have to do some root trimming at some point. Thinking of trimming one root back at a time in hopes not to kill it.

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Red buds despise root work with a passion. Better left in the ground in my opinion.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I agree that a redbud silhouette is very nice to look at.
Soo true. When we first moved into this house last year, I had no idea what a red bud was. But I really like the shape and the movement in the trunk and branches. F110BCD3-654E-452A-9EF8-498E199559C8.jpeg
maybe best as a garden tree.
Perhaps if a layer is transplanted onto a tile?…. Roots could get a good start without having to mess with them much in the future. 6C1DA642-8313-4A61-88B3-ECAB7CA7FF59.jpeg

BonsaiRae

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Looking for opinions as to the canopy of my bonsai. As it does a natural Y and I have two sides to look at, I did a top picture of each side. I have never wired a bonsai before and I was wondering if there are any spots that would need attention. I am hoping to keep it about this height and spread. Thanks in advance for any and all feedback.🙂

Attachments

• PXL_20220809_200030108.jpg
    PXL_20220809_200030108.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20220809_200001510.jpg
    PXL_20220809_200001510.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20220809_200009550.jpg
    PXL_20220809_200009550.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 18

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
At this point, I wouldn’t worry about styling/shaping the tree. Instead focus on all out growth. Feeding and perhaps a little tip pruning may help it flush out closer or on the the trunk.
love the heart shaped leaves.

BonsaiRae

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
PXL_20220830_120746648.jpgLooks like fall is starting in Iowa.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These are great trees! I have several saplings to be processed in the spring. They're all growing in a big pot along with some Korean dogwoods. But, did you know that there's also a Western redbud? Cersis occidentalis. It's native range is very limited to very northern California and SW Oregon, but they are available commercially. These are a very diminutive form of Cersis with the biggest mature leaves only about an inch to inch and a half. Maybe two inches on really healthy well feed specimens. Same awesome spring flush, maybe a bit more purple tinge in color.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Are these Eastern Redbud? I love the flowers in the spring so always wondered how well they would tolerate bonsai techniques

BonsaiRae

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Are these Eastern Redbud? I love the flowers in the spring so always wondered how well they would tolerate bonsai techniques
As far as I know it is an Eastern Redbud. I live in Iowa and I see several around in the yards here. This is a sapling that I found under the full grown redbud.

BonsaiRae

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
These are great trees! I have several saplings to be processed in the spring. They're all growing in a big pot along with some Korean dogwoods. But, did you know that there's also a Western redbud? Cersis occidentalis. It's native range is very limited to very northern California and SW Oregon, but they are available commercially. These are a very diminutive form of Cersis with the biggest mature leaves only about an inch to inch and a half. Maybe two inches on really healthy well feed specimens. Same awesome spring flush, maybe a bit more purple tinge in color.
I believe I have seen pictures of those. Very pretty. I saw a post on another site where people were trying to get a smaller leaf size. This little one had several different sizes all summer. I liked the variety in size and hope it does it again next year.

Top Bottom