Really excited! Boxwoods

Mike123

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Went for a ride today to check out some landscape nurseries. Stumbled upon some Boxwoods. Tag says Dwarf Boxwood. Not sure what type. Maybe someone can help me with that. The owner said they were " micro something". I bought the only three that were there. She said they've been there for at least four or more years. Morris midget maybe? Any how one especially looks awesome and the other two look really good. Started to trim the one I Like the best. But don't want to take to much off . Here's some pics. Which really doesn't do it any justice. The trunk twist and the branches are wonderful. I think I really have something with great potential. Any thoughts on what type and how much to trim?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 125
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 142
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 137
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 120

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Buxus Microphylla? Those are slow growers so if that is indeed the microphylla, your tree has some age.

Either way, great find! I think the one you have started trimming is exceptional stock...keep us updated.

Mike123

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks! Here's another one with a little trim. I wish it didn't look so 2 dimensional in the pictures.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 112

Mike123

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Shot of the two. One more to open up!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 82

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Those are very nice and a great find from a nursery. Wish I could find them here.

Be careful of boxwood leafminer with those. They LOVE that variety.
But being in NJ, the chemical that is most effective is readily available.

Mike123

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
[QUOTE

Be careful of boxwood leafminer with those. They LOVE that variety.
But being in NJ, the chemical that is most effective is readily available.[/QUOTE]
And what may that be? Just in case.

larlamonde

Shohin
Reaction score
Unbelievable find, Im really jealous. Good luck with them. Keep us posted with pics.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice pickup. Those trunks show a good deal of age. Especially the first. Have you thought about opening up the canopy a bit?

Mike123

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hat Trick! Thanks for the nice comments. Pretty happy!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 116

Mike123

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice pickup. Those trunks show a good deal of age. Especially the first. Have you thought about opening up the canopy a bit?

Yes. Just did what I could today. Suggestions please! I really wanted to look at them, and study them for a while bUt I couldn't wait to expose some of the inner bones. I just don't want to cut off something I will regret later. Considering how slow they grow.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
[QUOTE
And what may that be? Just in case.

Imadacloprid. Use it sparingly and only if you do actually have a problem. It is highly toxic to bees. I would get it in the pellet form and if you have to use it, use it during early spring. From what research I have done, applied once during Feb-April is what is recommended. It will kill the larvae in the leaves. In May, you can spray with Carbaryl (Sevin) or Malathion to control the adults.

Unfortunately there are no organic controls. Chemical control is really the only way to prevent it. I had to burn a tree of mine this winter because it was so infested. I cant get imadacloprid here.
Info on Boxwood leafminer
http://www.missouribotanicalgarden....problems/insects/flies/boxwood-leafminer.aspx

Last edited:

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Hat trick indeed! Awesome find. Almost like an instant bonsai with a little trimming!

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I find the problem with conventional pruning of dwarf boxwood varieties is they tend to quickly look like pom poms. Most people try to shear to shape because of how labor-intensive it is to prune it "correctly". To avoid that I will "surgically" remove about every 3rd leaf. Very fine bud shears can get right down to the branch, cutting the petiole and not the body of the leaf. Cut leaves show brown edges.
You will be pleasantly surprised how unpruned it looks, and before long the light it lets in will begin to produce buds and then foliage closer to the trunk.
You have the beginnings of very nice trees there. My favorite of the three is the one on the right, with almost drooping branches. Keep up the good work!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Depends really on what you want to attain. When I am building the branch structure and ramification, I let mine become a pom-pom. Then thin it down when I want the branches shown. It is tedious since you have to clear most old leaves (that stay for many years) from the older branches.

As always, I suggest you trace branches from the main out and clean the "trident/chicken feet/peace sign" branches by removing the middle one (there may be a few exceptions though). It will help you thin it down fast and come out naturally w/o much thinking. ;) Then do the wiring, final trimming, and clean up.

Mike123

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Should I let it go and not repot untill next spring or do you think I could repot into better soil now? Roots are growing out the bottom of the pots.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would think it is okay to re-pot now since I collect these (different boxwood type) year round. Note that if you repot, you need to thin the foliage. Since you already did and if you plan on doing more...it would be perfect to repot now. If you see some wilting or sad looking (not shiny) leaves...thin it back further. Branches and leaves are useless on a dead tree...can be easily replaced on a thriving one. ;)

If I were you, I will repot one and leave the rest and observe how the repotted one behave.

Good luck!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Boxwood are tough. Ive repotted and abused several this time of the year (May and June) and all survived.

Mike123

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Surface roots

Is it ok too trim roots around trunk? I'm thinking its ok but want to make sure.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 63
Top Bottom