Red Spruce?

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Does anyone have experience with Red Spruce? I have an opportunity to go collecting where there's a lot of them in an area with some elevation. Is it decent material for bonsai?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Does anyone have experience with Red Spruce? I have an opportunity to go collecting where there's a lot of them in an area with some elevation. Is it decent material for bonsai?

Not familiar with this tree. Where do you live and do you know the botanical name?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It is absolutely amazing what resource Wikipedia is. Simply type in 'red spruce' (or click the hyperlink in this case) and it provides the answer: Picea rubens and some useful tidbits, like "... often used for Christmas trees". Blue spruce (picea pungens) can be a nice bonsai and also is often used for Christmas trees. I bet red spruce could become a nice bonsai too.

Have fun finding a good one - that is, one you would never find in a nursery.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It is picea rubens. I don't have any spruce now. Once established, what is the pruning and pinching routine? I think it would do ok around here NW PA.

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It is picea rubens. I don't have any spruce now. Once established, what is the pruning and pinching routine? I think it would do ok around here NW PA.

I know of no one who has worked with one, it is not even mentioned in Dir's book. That doesn't mean it can't or you shouldn't but that it has not been done or experienced response to this post is missing. I do know that a lot of people avoid Spruce of all varieties. They tend to be difficult to work with, it takes years to get them to set after wiring.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thanks Vance! I guess it'll be challenge.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks Vance! I guess it'll be challenge.

In this part of PA 6b the soil for the large outdoor spruce and evergreens is a bit compact and mostly clay. They do grow well all over the property but they like water and can get uprooted because they cannot seem to root deep enough. I suspect they would do ok in a pot not given to much sun :)

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
In this part of PA 6b the soil for the large outdoor spruce and evergreens is a bit compact and mostly clay. They do grow well all over the property but they like water and can get uprooted because they cannot seem to root deep enough. I suspect they would do ok in a pot not given to much sun :)

Sounds encouraging. Once you get the tree I hope you continue to post information about it. I am always encouraged by native species and their possible use as bonsai.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'm in 5b, but have the clay you mentioned. I thought the pot could make up for that. The part shade thing puzzles me. Here's a pic you may have seen already, but it looks like full sun.

Attachments

• 275px-Picea_rubens_Bear_Rock_WV.jpg
    275px-Picea_rubens_Bear_Rock_WV.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 51
Top Bottom