Relocation With Bonsai. Moving Tips Thread

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
I am moving. Taking my collection of trees. I’ve done a few moves and have experience with this. But there is always the opportunity to learn something new. Thought I would start a thread where people could share their experiences. What worked well, what they would have done differently. Distance moved, time of year, collection size, method of transport, packing and organizing, etc. would likely help others. What say thee?

Darkjellyfish

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting. I have 4 very large trees and 50~ small-large ones that need to relocate with me soon.

In the past, the very large ones had been transported from previous owner on a 6 wheeler, which could not enter the housing estate area due to rules about vehicle size approval. Need to be carried 1 by 1 on a pick up truck in a hurry, which ruined a few branches on my trees. I also relied a lot on worksmen around my house.

This time, I‘ll need an even larger truck to carry my trees and tree-related stuff, a group of pickers, and get some approvals. In terms of packing and organizing, my plan would be to just secure the shelf and large-very large trees with ropes for stability. The small ones go to plastic trays.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I was very successful moving from CA to NC without losing a single tree. Some things that worked for me:

(1) Remove trees from pots and wrap rootballs in plastic bags. Much easier/lighter to move, and you can pack the pots separately so they don't break.
(2) Buy a bunch of large plastic storage bins. Not only can you pack a lot of smaller trees in a bin, but they are waterproof and you can stack them four high in a moving trailer. Even medium sized trees can fit two to a bin (laying on their sides) and you don't have to worry as much about them drying out during the trip.
(3) Move before July.
(4) Be very aware of agricultural restrictions before you hit the road. A lot of people are surprised to learn that there are inspection stations on every road leading into California where you have to declare all plant material. They are known to stop people with trailers who blow past the inspection stations.

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I just moved from Colorado to California. I have a small collection of bonsai and a ton of different plants. I was aware of the agricultural restrictions and the possibility of a search so I was a little worried. Thankfully upon entering California they waved us threw and did not do a search through my entire car, which included a couple collected Yamadori. My entire Subaru outback was filled with nothing but bonsai and plants from front to back and top to bottom. The day before I watered all of them to be sure there was not dry loose soil. I wrapped each pot in small bubble wrap to protect the pots and keep the substrate in the pots as well. Some of the larger ones I continued to loosely wrap around the sides of the plant/bonsai to secure the plant from too much movement. They were placed in open top small boxes very strategically. The most difficult one was my 40-year-old Jade that was massive. I literally had to secure her with small ropes around her base and upper branches because I knew the movement and the weight of the branches could be detrimental. The ropes were then secured on levers on the inside roof of my car. It was a 16 hour trip and I think I had to stop and readjust a few things maybe twice. All in all not too bad and the only loss was a few Jade leaves.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bread trays.

I moved with pop case trays but bread trays would be better.

I been looking at half inch hardware cloth for a while, thinking about sifters and trellis and chicken doors...

A nice framed out piece of that would be nice.

Anything you can easily tie down to.

Godspeed.

Sorce

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was very successful moving from CA to NC without losing a single tree. Some things that worked for me:

(1) Remove trees from pots and wrap rootballs in plastic bags. Much easier/lighter to move, and you can pack the pots separately so they don't break.
(2) Buy a bunch of large plastic storage bins. Not only can you pack a lot of smaller trees in a bin, but they are waterproof and you can stack them four high in a moving trailer. Even medium sized trees can fit two to a bin (laying on their sides) and you don't have to worry as much about them drying out during the trip.
(3) Move before July.
(4) Be very aware of agricultural restrictions before you hit the road. A lot of people are surprised to learn that there are inspection stations on every road leading into California where you have to declare all plant material. They are known to stop people with trailers who blow past the inspection stations.

I second the storage bins. Best protection for the trees. And if it's a multi-day drive (and you're a bit paranoid about car break ins) it makes it more convenient to bring the trees into your hotel room at night.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I moved from California to Virginia last summer. There are luckily no agricultural checkpoints when leaving California.

The trees did perfectly fine inside an SUV for five days, even with the A/C blasting the whole time. What I learned is that they really didn't need any water since they were not in direct sunlight and since they stayed relatively cool.

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I just moved from Florida to Georgia. It was a 500 miles drive but a 20’ Uhaul truck was all it took. Plus a couple of buddies helping loading and unloading.
I used a lot of card boxes underneath the pots to prevent shock and stuffed the empty spaces with other stuff that I need to move anyway. Not too difficult but it was a lot of work

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I just moved from Florida to Georgia. It was a 500 miles drive but a 20’ Uhaul truck was all it took. Plus a couple of buddies helping loading and unloading.
I used a lot of card boxes underneath the pots to prevent shock and stuffed the empty spaces with other stuff that I need to move anyway. Not too difficult but it was a lot of work
The hardest part is actually dealing with all the people who say, "you're gonna do WHAT to move your PLANTS??"

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If transporting trees in a pickup truck, should I be concerned about stripping leaves off deciduous trees while driving down the freeway? If I'm driving into a headwind, that could be a net windspeed of 80 mph or more. How much wind can a tree usually handle? Maybe folks who have experienced hurricanes can weigh in?

To be clear, I'm not talking about "finished" trees. If one of my trees in the early to middle stages of development, or one of my "practice trees," falls over and breaks a few twigs, that's no big deal. I'm more concerned about an unplanned defoliation.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If transporting trees in a pickup truck, should I be concerned about stripping leaves off deciduous trees while driving down the freeway? If I'm driving into a headwind, that could be a net windspeed of 80 mph or more. How much wind can a tree usually handle? Maybe folks who have experienced hurricanes can weigh in?

To be clear, I'm not talking about "finished" trees. If one of my trees in the early to middle stages of development, or one of my "practice trees," falls over and breaks a few twigs, that's no big deal. I'm more concerned about an unplanned defoliation.

I'd be concerned about that, and dehydration due to the wind and heat. Can you lay them down and cover with a tarp? I recently watched a guy drive past me on Interstate 5 in central California - 107 F, 20% humidity, driving 80 mph, with trees whipping in the wind in his pickup bed. I wouldn't give those trees half a chance at survival.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'd be concerned about that, and dehydration due to the wind and heat. Can you lay them down and cover with a tarp? I recently watched a guy drive past me on Interstate 5 in central California - 107 F, 20% humidity, driving 80 mph, with trees whipping in the wind in his pickup bed. I wouldn't give those trees half a chance at survival.

It would only be about a 45 minute drive, mostly on back roads off the freeway, and it's been about 80°F here at midday, with humidity around 70%.

I could also just pick a rainy day to move the trees.

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't drive a truck, but I imagine a lot depends on how far above the cab/bed the foliage would stick up. Immediately behind the cab and under the walls of the bed wouldn't get disturbed as much because air flow would eddy there. If they're relatively short trees, you'd probably be fine. Sacrifice branches sticking way up might be an issue though

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't drive a truck, but I imagine a lot depends on how far above the cab/bed the foliage would stick up. Immediately behind the cab and under the walls of the bed wouldn't get disturbed as much because air flow would eddy there. If they're relatively short trees, you'd probably be fine. Sacrifice branches sticking way up might be an issue though

My material is mostly in development, with long sacrifice branches. My slightly more mature trees will be inside the cab for better protection.

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
It would only be about a 45 minute drive, mostly on back roads off the freeway, and it's been about 80°F here at midday, with humidity around 70%.

I could also just pick a rainy day to move the trees.
45 minutes is nothing especially it's not even all on highway... You are totally fine.

Top Bottom