Repot this Japanese Flowering Quince this Fall??

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think you've got a real diamond in the rough here Robert :) Nice find! Glad it responded so well.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you've got a real diamond in the rough here Robert :) Nice find! Glad it responded so well.

Well thank you! I also think it has decent potential. I plan on letting it grow for the most part this year and maybe next. I really want to thicken the base more then start the difficult task of ramification on a regular quince. I have some ideas I want to try this year on quince that I'm going to try on other of mine to get more backbuds when cutting back. I'm think of Gary's pine method of reducing the sugar. Just to give it a try.

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What's Gary's method of reducing sugar? I don't grow conifers, so I'm not familiar.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Listen to the mirai podcast with telperian farms. Not sure on that spelling..

I just thought it was interesting and thought it might work with quince rather then cutting back in summer and fall.

Basically would wouldn't cut the tips where all the auxin is and you would leave that to grow and be strong. You would remove leaves except for the tips which would stimulate the plant to replace the green. Of coarse quince could just flush out leaves with no shoots. Every time I cut back quince to like a pair of new leaves, on a new shoot, I just get one new shoot that develops and grows like crazy. Real hard to get the regular quince to ramify as I'm sure you are aware. I'm hoping to figure it out as I am starting to get a good amount of regular jap quinces. I want a dwarf but just haven't purchased one yet.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Updates ? I’m about to repot mine out of nursery soil this week.

Here is my experience. Earlier this year, I acquired a Texas Scarlet quince in a nursery pot with compacted soil. A few weeks ago, I very carefully combed out all of the roots and gently rinsed the remaining soil off the roots with my Joshua Roth wand turned way down. I trimmed off enough roots to reduce it from the 5-gal nursery pot to an 8" terra cotta bulb pot. I used a mix of pumice, lava and bark.

Within a week, all of the foliage had dropped and it looked dead. A week later, new leaves started to push and now the sparse new crop of fresh, bright green leaves is starting to harden and turn dark green. I am cautiously optimistic about it survival after a winter in Salt Lake City. I will probably give it some cold protection.

Top Bottom