USDA Zone
4-5
Its not dry just like i stated before my mix is:
4 parts perlite
2 shredded coir fibre
2 akamada
1 a.p. fert 7.7.7 blend
Is that fine or no.
And water about every day to day and a half with distilled water is that enough or should it be more
And its on a heat mat now hopefully helps her out. Im new so I dont know much

koda659

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
And could this be an issue aswell the distilled water seems to grow calcium more then bonsai. Pics of what im prety sure is calcium build up, and my ph.1460432312245-1164947542.jpg 1460432718225-1246177837.jpg 1460432957134-27564553.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I find it hard to believe that distilled water is causing any sort of calcium build up. It's why they tell you to add it to things like irons and such to prolong their lifespan. Those sorts of things are removed from the water. But...there in...distilled water has all impurities removed...which now that I think about it. Could maybe cause issues with watering a plant. Not my area of expertise though. But a plant needs minerals from the water we give them.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Amen, distilled water is bad.
Or, Not good, at least.

Amen to cut the droopers but leave the petiole.

Sorry I thought it was Sunday!

Sorce

koda659

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
All purpose fertilizer 7.7.7. Blend. In one of my old threads some suggested the mix recommend by Brent Watson: 8 parts perlites, 8 parts pine bark (rather fine), 1 shangum moss + osmocte fertilizer 14/14/14. So I tweeked it cause I already had coir fibre perlite and fertilizer just had to got out to get the akamada from a garden centre near me then sells bonsai and pots/ tools etc.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
All purpose fertilizer 7.7.7. Blend. In one of my old threads some suggested the mix recommend by Brent Watson: 8 parts perlites, 8 parts pine bark (rather fine), 1 shangum moss + osmocte fertilizer 14/14/14. So I tweeked it cause I already had coir fibre perlite and fertilizer just had to got out to get the akamada from a garden centre near me then sells bonsai and pots/ tools etc.

So some kind of granular / slow release fertiliser then? That seems like quite a lot to be using as a soil component. High levels of salts in the soil (e.g. from fertiliser) could lead to the plant being dehydrated.

koda659

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
I though so to thatd y I add alot of other stuff too to kinda dilute and chose a 7.7.7 blend instead of the 14.14.14 recommended,could it maybe whats behind this. If so kinda fucked already casue its in the soil already. Im new to this stuff and wasnt sure on it to much so I said if others do it then what the heck but I guess I thought wrong. Defoliated the really bad leavs and I left the rest and watered her aswell with tap water.

Reaction score
So some kind of granular / slow release fertiliser then? That seems like quite a lot to be using as a soil component. High levels of salts in the soil (e.g. from fertiliser) could lead to the plant being dehydrated.
Was thinking the same thing...
I believe this has to do mostly with over fertilizer. These trees need pretty much nothing to grow. Hence why it sat on a shelf at Walmart for how long?

I would remove it from the soil now... will do little to the plant. Wash off the roots and repot it in a soil without the fertilizer.

Also, if you have this inside... stop watering it. This tree can easily go almost a week without water.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jeeez, if that is salt build up on that pot, your problem is mostly likely fertilizer burn. That kind of build up takes literally YEARS to build up on properly fertilized bonsai, if it builds up at all. How much Osmocote did you put in there?

koda659

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
After repoting her.1460479726601-179066944.jpg
And I followed the directions on the bag .5 kg per 32 litres of mix but probably bad fertilizer. Hopefully she gets gets better now

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When repotting, I sprinkle osmocote slow release 'spheres' around the rootball before filling and working in soil. Its a 6 month slow release but activates when temperatures reach 30C. In reality it probably only feeds the tree for 1-2 months. If I put it on the soil surface, they all activate immediately in my summer. If its this type of fert I wouldn't think it would be an issue, but that is an awful lot of build up on your pot.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would have used only akadama rather than mixing it with the other stuff. At this point, just leave it alone to recover.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Do not defoliate. The tree is weak enough as is. Repotting and defoliating a weak tree is asking for trouble.

Top Bottom