Repotting bald cypress - timing?

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Looks like you're done here so... can I hi-jack your thread for a moment? Look @ my BC buds, could someone tell me if this is ready for a transplant today or is it too far along?
View attachment 372276
Thanks.
You're way up in T.O. so that explains why they are so much later to pop than down here. I'd say go for it now! Especially of you are doing it for a strategic reason: soil change, new container/strategy for trunk thickening, etc.

Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Yes, they must be moved and they need to go where they can sit for some time to gain taper. Thanks for your input.

Mannythered

Seedling
Reaction score
@badatusernames
In general, the right move, no repotting once active growth starts in spring. I recommend against slip potting, though there are times when it is something that must be done. Generally I try to avoid slip potting.

There is a second repotting season that you may be able to take advantage of. You are in MA, a climate that is not wildly different than mine. After foliage growth and development has slowed down, for me it is about the middle of August, there is a second window of time where one can repot trees. You are in zone 6b, I am in zone 5b. We both get a cooling off at night that begins sometime in August, for me about August 15 night time starts to dip below 65 F (below +18 C ). About this time most trees have a flush of root growth. I repot pines, spruce and a fair number of deciduous at this time of year. I do this repotting Aug 15 to Sept 15. You should finish repotting before the autumnal equinox, as you need time for new roots to establish before winter dormancy.

I have not repotted bald cypress at this time, but I have repotted maples, Chaenomeles, Malus, all my pines including JBP, spruce, Hinoki, and Thuja at this time of year. My success rate is about the same as in spring. So you can consider this. I would repot larch in spring only.

So whether you try this or not, it is up to you. If you live in HOT SUMMER climates, DO NOT DO SUMMER REPOTTING. This is NOT FOR California, Arizona, New Mexico or Texas. The southwest and southern tier of states your climates are far too different to consider this timing. So don't be stupid, if you live in Texas, don't try repotting trees in August. This is a technique for Minnesota thru Maine, Iowa can do it, but most of Missouri is too hot for August repotting. Northern IL it works fine, Southern IL wait until Sept 15, for "summer repotting". So if your area is part of a desert, as in the desert southwest, do not consider this technique.

But if you are in climate zones 6b to 4a there is a possibility of repotting in summer. If you have fewer than 10 days per year over 90 F, (+32 C ). If your summers are relatively mild, middle or late summer repotting is possible. Be sensitive to your local climate, and watch how your trees respond.

If you are in doubt, stick to spring repotting.

Point is, there are at least 2 seasons where repotting can be successful. Actually, with winter protection, there are even more windows of time, but I try to keep my winter protection minimal.
I’ve been looking for information about reporting in late sept and I’ve found it. I live in Saint Paul mn. What signs should I be looking for if I did wanna go this route?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I’ve been looking for information about reporting in late sept and I’ve found it. I live in Saint Paul mn. What signs should I be looking for if I did wanna go this route?

You are in minnesota, I would not wait until late September. I would think August would give you more recovery time before first frost.

But like I said, I have never repotted BC in August, my experience is from spruce and pines

Top Bottom