Return to Pottery

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
so what say you

Vendors sell dirt. We're hard pressed to get good information about supremely technological things in this day....and these vendors sell dirt. We shouldn't expect good information from a dirt slanger. Don't.

Frost Proof doesn't always equal Vitrified and Vitrified doesn't always equal Frost Proof.

The only cone 6 Standard Clays I'd use to ensure a Frost Proof pot if fired and shaped correctly are , 547, 365, and 710 cuz it IS certainly beyond superior to 266 for our purposes. Not that others wouldn't work, just feels a waste of time to test it.

The Manganese in 266, 710, and the speckles in 112 can prove life altering.

Sorce

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've been seeing Stone Monkey post a lot of these recently. Inspired?
I love Stone Monkey! His finishes are so clean and I particularly like his drum pots, but I have not seen him do bridges (yet). There's a shohin at the National Bonsai Museum in a bridge pot (though it's an oval as I recall). I was playing with shapes, cutting out templates and it was partly from that pot and partly the visual of a foot bridge from a traditional Japanese garden.

morriganflora

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
but I have not seen him do bridges (yet).
You should check out his Instagram. His posts have basically been 50% bridges, or fans as he says, for the past couple week.

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Your glaze choices on these carved pots are spot on, love 'em. Are you mixing your own? If that's a shino, are you firing with gas? Great stuff. I'm experimenting with texture myself at the moment.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Your glaze choices on these carved pots are spot on, love 'em. Are you mixing your own? If that's a shino, are you firing with gas? Great stuff. I'm experimenting with texture myself at the moment.
Thank you. I'm a student at a local place and primarily using all of their materials (I've tested a couple of outside cone 6 glazes). I'm very lucky that they have a nice gas kiln and array of cone 10 glaze choices. Almost everything I've shown here was cone 10/gas fired.

Future goals: wood firing.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
These pots are nice and you clearly have some skills at this! In my opinion the real test comes when you try to make a refined container with a traditional design. Let’s see a rectangle! :)

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
These pots are nice and you clearly have some skills at this! In my opinion the real test comes when you try to make a refined container with a traditional design. Let’s see a rectangle! :)
Thank you. I'm not sure I want to reproduce classic/traditional styles? Other people are doing them and better than I will. Plus I'm not sure I want to put rims on pots :p Instead here's a new form for a square that I was playing with. It has a fake rim ;D

1660768116854.png

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Great glaze, working well on that pot. I am looking forward to that feeling when a pot and a glaze come together! I hope you can repeat it :)

Top Bottom