Reverse Engineering...The Display

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Al, I appreciate all the effort you put into your threads like this......I like the overall effect, very nice.....are the lower legs of the stand blue or is it a reflection of some sort.
Cheers Graham
It's a reflection. I was trying a new thong for 4th of July.

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
Not trying to be critical, but the deer is an Autumn season element used in most Japanese displays. It is commonly paired with momiji....Japanese maple.
So I am kind of surprised that you would display this in April....

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not trying to be critical, but the deer is an Autumn season element used in most Japanese displays. It is commonly paired with momiji....Japanese maple.
So I am kind of surprised that you would display this in April....
I have to say that I am totally ignorant about the use of scrolls, what is appropriate for what season, etc.

Would it be too much to ask if you could start a thread or two illustrating proper display with scrolls?

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Al, those are great! What was the event? Is it a regular display?

Brian

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That right there is how a bonsai display should look. So striking each to their own space. Whoever designed that space is genius, the rooms (tokonoma?) by themselves are beautiful.

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for taking the time for posting. All of it. Beautiful work.

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Al,

Thanks for posting these. Would you say that the pot to stand ratio is a bit off for juniper display in the 5th photo? The pot is large and heavy and is being held up by a stand that has skinny legs. To me for this display, it should have a longer stand with legs that carry a bit more visual weight to them.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Al,

Thanks for posting these. Would you say that the pot to stand ratio is a bit off for juniper display in the 5th photo? The pot is large and heavy and is being held up by a stand that has skinny legs. To me for this display, it should have a longer stand with legs that carry a bit more visual weight to them.

You mean this one? It's a redwood. Yes this stand is much to small. I had a stand that I gave to him to borrow, but he decided on this one. He wanted the height. Mine was shorter but much stronger looking.

006.JPG

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A little background here. This event was to raise money for the Clark Bonsai collection endowed to the Japanese Garden in Fresno. The collection when it was housed in Hanford, included the Kazari bonsai display competition. This fundraiser at the last minute decided to try and include the Kazari on an experimental basis. The display was not advertised to the public and frankly almost didn't happen due to building the Tokonoma's at the last minute. They were built by a Fresno Bonsai club member, Chris Saldana, whom had little help. Display trees were removed from the collection for the display comp. to be replaced after the weekend. All of the displays were last minute displays put together in a week or less. No one planned for this, and no one had everything they needed. It was a one off, and may be done next year or the year after. I have no idea.

Reactions: Vin

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I sensed impatience in this thread, and while I was building this display in real time and was posting as I went, I became a little frustrated at the forum. I felt people were over analyzing every nuance of every detail rather than waiting until finished and looking at it as a whole. Cock n bull was like "why am I wasting my time, trying to exhibit so much work to help people". Gathering pictures of so many plants and pots. Lots of work. And people are rather ungrateful.

I apologize for being frustrated. Not your problem.
This event happened on April 17, 2016

View attachment 109237
Wonderful display. I recall this maple on this forum in its juvenile phase. The blue feet of the stand pulls my eye like a purposeful tank top. I've not seen a gradient foot before! Interesting at least. I never look your posts inside the mouth.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's not blue feet, it's the reflection of the sky on the curved part of the leg. Trust me, they are silky smooth.

The juvenile...2010

View attachment 109610
Yes, sir! That's the picture I envisioned. You move maples faster than anyone I've seen; climate abiding.

On the reflection being the reason for the blue. Hot Damn!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, sir! That's the picture I envisioned. You move maples faster than anyone I've seen; climate abiding.

On the reflection being the reason for the blue. Hot Damn!
I think the blue comes from the flash???

Top Bottom