HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
(((PENCILS IN BUCKETS)))
(((DISCLAIMER)))
(((PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK)))

So I have been starting a couple threads on trees that I wish to document. These fell into the “interesting (with the story) enough“ category.

I decided to implement a project for my “tiny-tree study group” that examined the dynamic of collecting/developing young, identical, arrow-straight-esque yamadori. Basically jumpstarting the tree’s growth (in relation to cultivation via seeds or cuttings) while utilizing some basic “natural tendencies” the tree has already acquired.

I decided to collect the trees (i selected Buckthorn because the idea came to me late ;) ) for my members and drop “care packages” at their doorsteps.

One member informed me that he will be relocating and cannot confirm if he has suitable accommodations to relocate his trees TO. So I now have these two gals. I will track their progress here.

So here they are, pencils in buckets.... you were warned.

411DE5E8-3B76-4E94-A293-2FA4DF9C446D.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice.

Interesting to see them at this height and thickness in a pot!

Are you intending to grow them out as is and chop?

Fitting to bend em?

Too....
Because we all have finite space, and there is a collectable buckthorn out there FOR sure, that is NOW, whatever you want these to be...
I wouldn't stop looking for those replacements, while LEARNING everything you Can with these.

Sometimes it's about the journey.

But the journey of a Buckthorn....hell..
We can go out and collect 100 Buckthorn, each in every one year difference of development, and have a collection representing the entire journey of a Buckthorn from seed to bitchin......

So if anyone(else because I don't feel you would)wants to argue that this doesn't allow the enjoyment of the journey, I will say, no, go collect the entire journey!

I think that would make a wicked display!

I hope that makes kind Sense.

Sorce

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
no, go collect the entire journey!

I have these same feelings.. for every three pencil-thin buckies, there was three decently-aged specimens nearby... this was more so to show the advantages of collecting young yamadori in place of seedlings or cuttings (for the study group)

:)

I’m hunting some out for autumn collection. 👍

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
So one of these (non-thought-out-collections) went to a study group member..

And the one I kept to “document” recently took a tumble... and it was “now or never”... so a few operations were performed, paying special attention to disrupt the main rootmass any further 🤪.

This is how the tree LOOKED.9EC45A86-61D4-4CAF-9470-CA3A43E8EEC2.jpeg7DCFDAC7-C7F8-4D66-8D06-30FCFB4B97F1.jpeg
And we ended up here.4CA0381C-F25D-4E56-A45D-017B3A642AD2.jpegEEBED0E4-4714-4BB5-9F48-2D267A6FB80A.jpeg
(The lichen/fungus ((Picture 1)) was “vinegared“ and brushed)

(will get some wire in autumn)

Top Bottom