Rise of the zombi Mugo

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
In 1985 I received this little Mugo as sort of a gift from my Mother in Law. In the following Spring I attempted to repot the tree and nearly killed it. By fall the tree looked almost dead. It had a bit of color but did not grow. At the time I had the space so I left it alone to sit on my shelf for another year. The next spring came and went and the tree did not move. At this point I was pretty sure it was dead but I didn't have the heart to toss it out. I decided to let it d
ecompose in public for one more year. The next spring it started to grow and the tree was saved.

Dwarf Mugho 1985.jpg

I worked on the tree again today and will be doing so for the next couple of days. This is the tree, no lie.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Man. The tree doesn't even resemble what it looked like in the beginning. But then again it's been 30 years.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Not meaning to kick a dead horse but in the beginning, I did, get a lot of flack from people that said I should work with older established trees preferably Yamadoris and the selection of nursery trees would never yield a good bonsai. Well I suppose they were half right but there you go. Sometimes when you keep the crap you bought when you were young it can turn into something better when its older. Plus it did not now cost you the arm and leg the tree would not cost.

Part of my success with Mugos has been from my willingness to fool around with all the areas of development of this tree. I go after the old ones when I can find them and I am not adverse to the young ones. I find them a fun diversion and I love the looks from people when I can get one of them to look good.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Man. The tree doesn't even resemble what it looked like in the beginning. But then again it's been 30 years.

Sadly most people seem to be compelled to embarrassment over keeping some piece of beginner crap. Usually it will remain undeveloped and often discarded.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I keep all crap trees until they are dead or they will grow into something maybe.

Reaction score
images

The tree is worth the sacrifice...

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
images

The tree is worth the sacrifice...

Thank You. The goal has not been reached but I can now at least see the top of the mountain and know it's achievable. We shall see as the wire goes on the tree once again.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's hard to believe that's the same tree. I'm trying not to throw out anything I've deemed pointless (at this time) to work on. It's hard with a limited amount of space though. Have you ever just stuck a mugo in the ground, Vance?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm all tingley waiting for the wire part! Hop to it!

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The tree has undergone an amazing transformation. It doesn't look anything like the photo from 1985. In 30 years I'll be dead or a zombie myself.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It's hard to believe that's the same tree. I'm trying not to throw out anything I've deemed pointless (at this time) to work on. It's hard with a limited amount of space though. Have you ever just stuck a mugo in the ground, Vance?
No. I have never had the space to do so, maybe that's why I developed the bonsai training planter that has over the years developed/ripped off into the pond basket and the use of the colander.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
No. I have never had the space to do so, maybe that's why I developed the bonsai training planter that has over the years developed/ripped off into the pond basket and the use of the colander.
Oh yeah I forgot that that was your innovation! That method is universally used now.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Oh yeah I forgot that that was your innovation! That method is universally used now.

Thank You for remembering that. I don't make any money of any of this stuff I would simply like to be remembered for my accomplishments and contributions to the art of bonsai when I am gone. I'm pretty sure I will be remembered as one of the world's greatest "A" holes, by some.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you for sharing these videos
I am enjoying watching them
Taking off a big branch makes me sad
Can't wait to see what it looks like after.

From the first photo- were the two sides chopped of? Or how did you start with the young tree? Were one of the lower branches eventually turned into the trunk?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thank you very much for your kind words. It's nice to know that some enjoy these things, I enjoy making them. As to the removal of a large branch. I understand what you are saying, it's not an easy thing to do either, especially considering the journey this tree and myself have been through together. You have to remember that a bonsai is supposed to emulate the appearance of an ancient tree that nature has beat on for centuries. This kind of treatment is not without cost to the tree, it often means losing branches and scaring up the trunk.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is exactly the kind of thing that will help me grow and learn. These are great posts. Please continue to do more of them. This is exactly what I expected when I joined this forum. Educational and entertaining- I love it

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Just for you "ancoffeegirl" Due to bucket of rain yesterday was the first time I have had to produce another video. This one only scratches the surface of what is going to happen. I figure it is going to take at least three more videos.

Pals_id

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Very nice Vance! That is a great tree with a good story behind it. I watched your video and have one question. What is a CD? All the kids download MP3's nowadays :)

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice tree. Enjoying this series.
I like the commentary very much- let's me see how you think when you look at your tree. Believe it or not it's very helpful to see the tree through your eyes.
My daughter walked in when I was watching your video and said what!- are you watching? - rolls eyes like a teenager. Is that bonsai? Ugh.
Lol

Watching you make those chops was painful but I know in the long run it will be even more beautiful with flowing tapered branches.

Last edited:
Top Bottom