Rocky Mountain Juniper Raft

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
This tree was collected this year, and I am now pretty confident it will survive, since there are new feeder roots growing everywhere just under the soil surface. There are no huge taproots so getting it into a bonsai pot in its next repot should be pretty easy. I didn't want to disturb the structure of the rootball just yet.

I think styling this tree will be pretty self-explanatory, but I would very much like any input.

I took a workshop at Natures Way with Walter Pall and Jim Doyle this spring, working with yamadori RMJ and ponderosa. I highly recommend this workshop to anyone who can make it, I learned so much and got to practice on Walter's trees (I hope I didn't kill that juniper I repotted Walter? :)). As per Walter's advice, no work will be done on this tree until it is 'spiking' (sending out vigorous new shoots). Based on this trees current condition, I think this will be in 2011. 2010 if I am very lucky.

So while I will be waiting for awhile to do any work, I am already pondering the styling and which branches might be removed.

Comments and suggestions are most welcome.

One side... looks like there is reverse taper on the main trunk, but from a slightly turn clockwise, it disappears and there is a beautiful shari not visible in the pic
RMJ1.jpg

Closer
RMJ3.jpg

Other side
RMJ2.jpg

Closer
RMJ4.jpg

Last edited:

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is a big temptation, and a big danger, to start styling a collected tree like this too early. I second the advice you've been given, and would wait at least another season or two until it is pushing lots of vigorous new foliage for at least a season - I don't see any young whips up there yet, unless I'm mistaken. Same goes for a repot, and especially any root pruning. Use the time to slowly study the tree's possibilities, and to develop the much lauded patience we're all supposed to be cultivating. :)

G52

Last edited:

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
It is funny you mention the workshop at nature's way. I go to Penn State(state college) so i am about an hour and a half drive from harrisburg. I was tempted to drive to the workshop this spring, but didnt. I think i will def try to make 2010. Btw, excellent tree. It should turn out to be a rather unique juniper.

waltr1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was at that workshop and do remember that tree. Very unique.
I also suggest just think about and do some sketches of the trunk and major branches to start getting ideas. Maybe treat it as a forest planting with multiply apexes. That may bring out the raft feeling more. Then bring it back next year and discuss your design ideas with Walter and the class, it'll need that much more time before any styling should be attempted. I'm sure he already has a finial image in his head.

I've been to the workshop at Nature's Way with WP twice. It is one of the best I've attended. Just the nursery walk through where WP discusses each tree's health and styling options is worth the trip. And then we get to work on his trees, some with 4 digit prices. Check out Walter's blog to see pictures from the workshop here: http://walter-pall-bonsai.blogspot.com/2009/05/2nd-traditional-collected-tree-learning.html
Be sure to click the travelogues link to see all the pics.

walt r

Last edited:

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I was the poor bastard who drove 7 hrs from Canada (Aaron) :) I'm guessing you are Walt, who had the very awesome ponderosa?

This tree was not at the workshop. It was collected after the workshop in the Canadian Rockies. But what I learned at the workshop is being applied to this tree.

As mentioned in my post, no work will be done on this tree for at least a couple of years. This includes no repotting or anything.

Although general comments are what I was hoping for. I agree Waltr that a foresty-windsweptish-raft will make this an elegant, feminine RMJ.

@pwk: you should definitely come next year! Pittsburgh is right around the corner relative to how far I drove :( The workshop is worth it I can assure you it is unlike any workshop you have ever been to

pauldogx

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Greetings Aaron!!! This is Paul who helped you repot that Big RMJ. Great Tree!!!!!!

Like Walt said....ruminate on it, make some drawings and come back next year!!!

I may do that drive sometime to go up and work with David Easterbrooke.

waltr1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ah...I was thinking of the other 'raft' RMJ that WP has at Nature's Way. Anyway you do have a nice piece of material. I do remember you since you came from Toronto and got the award for driving the furthest.

Yep, I had the Poderosa that I repotted into a round mica and the little RJM.
The ponderosa should get a detailed styling next year. WP said the RMJ was ready, had the spiky foliage, so I did an initial styling, pruned out the excess branches, wired and trimmed foliage. I'm now prinching the tips. This little gal just grows like crazy. Next year the foliage gets trimmed back and detail wired. Could be show ready in another two-three years.
I've been meaning to start threads on these two trees but just haven't gotten around to it. Maybe soon.

walt r

Top Bottom