Rodent damage on azaleas?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I know that mice and other varmints like to nibble on certain tree species while they are overwintered. In my experience, fruit trees like apple and cherry are most often on the menu, but maples and even pine can be subject to damage ( I lost a grafted JWP one winter- the root stock was completely debarked/girdled). My question is...what about azaleas? I've only managed them through one winter so far, so my experience is minimal, and I'm wondering if I should take any precautions like I would with some of the trees listed above. Thanks

Dave

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Don't winter them on the ground, just to be on the safe side, but I have a yard full of azaleas as well as several azalea bonsai and I've never found tooth marks on them. I have many squirrels on my 8 acres. I have had squirrels chew on a mica pot in which one of the azalea was being kept. But squirrels are notoriously fond of mica pots.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'll vouch for the mica pots, J maples, and apples, but havent had the issue with azeleas (yet) but I keep my satsukis inside my breezeway, it gets colder here than they are supposed to like, so they don't go in my clod frame. But this year a couple of boxes of decon will.

Kirk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hi Dave,

I have had a squirrel take a nibble or two out of an azalea. I've noticed a few spots on the bark, but nothing severe. They did, however, almost completely girdle one of my kiyohime maples. War was declared.

Kirk

Top Bottom