root advice

donkey

Mame
Reaction score
this is my Rowan that i,ve been shaping for 2 years and the rock that i'm planning on planting it in, in about 1 - 2 years time and i would like some advice on root growth my main 2 sets of roots fit the 2 large holes at the front of the rock perfectly but the 3rd set of roots are nowhere near long enough to reach the smaller holes on the rear. I have made a deep channel in the pot with slightly sandier soil and have given a top dressing of bone meal is this the correct thing to do if so is there anything else i can do and if not what should i do. (The first 2 pictures of the rock show the large holes on the front left and right respectively, the 3rd the 2 smaller holes at the rear)

Attachments

• tree set 5 087.jpg
    tree set 5 087.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 78
  • tree set 5 088.jpg
    tree set 5 088.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 78
  • tree set 5 089.jpg
    tree set 5 089.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 101
  • tree set 5 084.jpg
    tree set 5 084.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 86
  • tree set 5 085.jpg
    tree set 5 085.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That rock sure has some character! From one side it looks like a skull. I have never heard of a rown plant, I searched it online and the images I got all looked different, some with red berries and some with white flowers and some with large fat leaves while others had small thin leaves. One site said it was a mountain elm? I still do not know what it is lol, could you post a pic of it with foliage as I would love to see what it looks like.

ed

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I have never heard of a rowan plant,

It's European. Tied in to all sorts of folklore -- elves, etc.

I've never seen a Rowan bonsai.

We have NO idea how large that rock is. But you have several years before you want to attach the tree to the rock, so keep it in that deep pot. By the time it is redy to be wrapped around, onto and into the rock, you will have enough root.

Normally., you bare root the plant, fit the roots where you want them on the rock, wrap it all in raffia or tape or . . . and bury the roots and the rock back into the pot for a year or two. Then you slowly expose the root and the rock to the air over another year or two.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The lord of the rings bonsai? I thought that was a skull before I clicked on the thumbnail. Lenz-esque. The trunk actually seems like it has some nice movement so kudos. Not much help on root-over-anything but there is a great thread in the RoR section about tridents that you should read.

Top Bottom