ROOT -KNOT NEMATODE DISEASE

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I recently purchased some small Hawthorns that came from down South. They were bare rooted with a little soil so I could easily see all of the roots. The pictures show what I found. I have never seen this before but know that it is not characteristic of Hawthorns that I have seen. Those big knots might totally enclose one of the main roots and then do the same with a smaller root right next to it. The roots are all twisted up and a mess because of all the attached knots. I did a little research and found what looks like what I have. They call it ROOT -KNOT NEMATODE DISEASE. It is caused by a microscopic worm that does all of this damage and, I would guess that this will eventually kill the plant. I put both of the plants back in their plastic bags with soil, sealed them up, and put them outside away from the garden. I contacted the nursery and they have not responded as yet. Am I wrong in assuming that I should not try to kill the culprit and somehow make use of the plants. I could also mess with cutting off all roots and shoot growing the upper but not sure that would be successful or worth it. They are Crataegus marshallii (Parsnip Hawthorns) and nice little trees. Advice appreciated. Thank you!

It's hard to see but the big knots right up next to the trunk are attached to all of the large main roots. If I removed the knots, most, if not all of the roots would be gone.

Attachments

• 70069724038__C693EAE7-981E-4AEE-9D0A-E70AC975FA96.jpg
    70069724038__C693EAE7-981E-4AEE-9D0A-E70AC975FA96.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 70069726732__60BE46DF-7DD0-4641-9F3D-C7A5A72A2072.jpg
    70069726732__60BE46DF-7DD0-4641-9F3D-C7A5A72A2072.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 70069728485__392F1411-62A3-4BFE-B2A1-DE7A65342F02.jpg
    70069728485__392F1411-62A3-4BFE-B2A1-DE7A65342F02.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

Colt Carson

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
If you think you have root nematodes, I would get rid of the plants entirely. I don't have experience with root nematodes on bonsai, but I did successfully eradicate them from my yard. Back around the year 2000, I had planted some shrubs in the yard. They just steadily declined. I bought some Boxwoods to replace them. When I dug up the original shrubs I found the root nematodes. They made nodules all over the fine roots. Being concerned about the nematodes in the soil infecting the new Boxwoods, I researched my options. Back then I had two options… soil fumigation by a professional or a natural product I could incorporate into the soil that makes conditions unfavorable for the nematodes. The natural product is what makes dirt smell like dirt… like when you smell plowed earth. This natural product was purchased at a Feed Store, but I can’t remember what it was. I incorporated this powder type product into the soil with a shovel, and planted the Boxwoods. They have done great all these years. B80CE0CB-A3F3-41E0-8B56-E2783A3544AE.jpeg

Last edited:

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I don’t see any signs of root knot nemotodes. Just a very bad girdling root, which to me alone is enough for the nursery to replace.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I don’t see any signs of root knot nemotodes. Just a very bad girdling root, which to me alone is enough for the nursery to replace.
Jzack...there are a number of these knots up high on the roots on the two trees (I have only pictured one of the trees) that have either fully or partially enclosed root(s). I've seen root girdling where the root is wrapped around another root, but in this case the knots are wrapped around the roots.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
no nematodes knots this big, i like the girdling there for a rock or tanuki!

Colt Carson

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
In the first post's pics I can’t see anything that I could say was root nematodes.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
no nematodes knots this big, i like the girdling there for a rock or tanuki!
"i like the girdling there for a rock or tanuki!"....could you explain that to me pls

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Ok, I am wondering if these trees were grown in a very small, deep pot for a long time and that the roots just got all wound up together. Wound up is one thing, but why would roots ecase roots? If you look at the pictures, you can see a small root growing right out of the middle of a knot. Why would this happen? The roots at the bottom are long and free of knots. The roots at the top are all locked together by these knots.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Youre in Oregan dude, apparently its the nursery capital of the US according to Ryan neil. Fire up the Chevy, hit that dog on freeway and find yo ass some kick ass material🤠

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Youre in Oregan dude, apparently its the nursery capital of the US according to Ryan neil. Fire up the Chevy, hit that dog on freeway and find yo ass some kick ass material🤠
Very funny Bobby Lane! I needed a laugh. Been out in the freezen cold most of the day cleaning stuff up and throwing the no like you's in the trash. The Willamette Valley is 6 hrs West of here and if they have hawthorn trees it don't come up on Google. I would really like to find out what is wrong with these trees, so I washed them off and took new photos that I will post after dinner.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Very funny Bobby Lane! I needed a laugh. Been out in the freezen cold most of the day cleaning stuff up and throwing the no like you's in the trash. The Willamette Valley is 6 hrs West of here and if they have hawthorn trees it don't come up on Google. I would really like to find out what is wrong with these trees, so I washed them off and took new photos that I will post after dinner.
Good music by the way.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I'm Going to start over again with this as I am very curious as to what the problem might be. I washed off both plants and took more and better pictures. I have no clue what this mess might be. Maybe someone has experienced this and can help. I know ur all excited!

Pictures of two trees

Attachments

• IMG_5307.jpg
    IMG_5307.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5308.jpg
    IMG_5308.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5310.jpg
    IMG_5310.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5311.jpg
    IMG_5311.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5312.jpg
    IMG_5312.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5313.jpg
    IMG_5313.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5315.jpg
    IMG_5315.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5316.jpg
    IMG_5316.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I am wondering if this is from extremely confined growing space when very young. The roots at the top of the plant are the only ones affected. Very strange!

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am wondering if this is from extremely confined growing space when very young. The roots at the top of the plant are the only ones affected. Very strange!
maybe... root pouchitis :)

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I had notified the nursery and sent them pictures and they refunded me and sent me this:

I do know what is wrong with the roots. The crataegus had stayed too long in their plug trays before up potting. I do believe it is a physiological response to being cramped, not nematodes. I will be sending a sample of roots to the extension service to check for nematodes, but the plants seem otherwise healthy here, vigorous leaf growth, and color, etc.

Beech Hollow Farms

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
will make great raised nebari or root over rock bonsai, right?

Top Bottom