sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@cbroad

Sure enough....

In this post from 2/22/15...
http://www.bonsainut.com/posts/243809/

I removed the layer at the last waxing day. Feb. 2nd.

Then I came back and posted that the roots took off after separation.

This was all through the waning moon!

Sorce

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I remember reading that thread. It is weird, and good observation too. I had never heard this before but I'm going to be taking a closer look and see what results I get.

I have another crape layer going; different variety than the one I'm going to plant today, but so far it only has one long root. Both crapes were done a day apart, roughly the same overall height, leaf mass, caliper, and get the same sun. Last week I checked both and found the root/roots. So one took off and other didnt... If I don't get much change in the single root one until the next waning moon then I might be a believer. I'll be paying attention now.

Thanks

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That reminds me, does anyone know how to get a hold of some 1/8 inch metal mesh? I can use window screen mesh but it breaks too easy while sifting. I dunno if you guys use this 'trick' but i take the granite and DE and wash it in a black concrete black tub using a square box i made with mesh on it, and just sift it like you are looking for gold. I can clean a bag pretty fast, it's cleaners and less dusty.[/QUOTE]

I can help you out with some 1/8 on 3/16 perforated metal. ironically, I have a customer who buys it all the time located in Kalkaska. PM me your address if you are interested. what size sheet would you like? I use 5/32 on 3/16 as well, I could throw some of that in too. I have that pattern on some 1100-0 aluminum, you can cut it with pruners, and bend it with your hands, however I dont suggest it, works great for sifting or pot drain covers. heck ive made a few pots out of perforated metal, and plastic, basically a colander, but its a cube or rectangle shaped, kinda like Vance's. I'm making some which are basically copys of the Anderson flats as well. There are still some criticism about the colanders, most of those people seem to say Anderson flats are better, going to do some of my own testing.

Sorce, your moon data is intriguing, I read a book recently that has data that supports a theory of predicting the 48 hour period of estrus for whitetail deer to within a day, based off the moon phase. The study wont be published, other than whats already in the book, for a few more years because it is a 20 year study, but they had enough data after about 10 years to easily prove the theory.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love the moon...

But don't understimate the power of a good rain!

This is the first time I've had these all season!
20160813_081017.jpg
20160813_081103.jpg
20160813_081106.jpg
20160813_081118.jpg
20160813_081126.jpg

10 day old waxing gibbious.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One of them oddball waxing moon roots!
20180519_072149.jpg
Found it while blasting the underleaves for springtails...That's my bane so far. New, and none of the other pests yet.....except them scale from that thuja....but I'm quite sure they were only with it...cuz I kept it healthy as hell!

Sorce

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
He explained that it was the stagnant air in the soil not getting exchanged from a good, thorough, flushing watering that was causing the tree's health to decline. Roots need oxygen after all, and the quality and amount of oxygen they have access to is determined by how "open"/ porous your soil is but mostly by how often your flush the old stagnant, bacteria breeding air from the roots with a good watering.

I hate to be a stickler but this is completely wrong. It's the other way round. Air exchange in soil has very little to do with ''flushing out stale air'' etc. All plant roots get their oxygen from diffusion from the atmosphere. Flushing with heavy watering DOES replace air quickly but don't make the mistake of thinking trees rely on it because they simply do not. If you need proof, last winter I did not water my trees more than 2 times in three months because there was high humidity and much drizzle. The biggest issue in my experience is due to too much root pruning when one does not know what they are doing, and 2, planting the thing in too big a pot. Too fine a soil mix comes third and not watering enough comes forth.

Top Bottom