Ryceman3's 6yr Scots Pine Progression

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Haven't posted development for these Scots pines in a few months, and since I took some pics this morning I thought I'd throw them up to keep this thread updated.
They're coming along pretty nicely. The pots they are in stand 100mm tall (near enough to 4") as a scale reference. I have one or two in the ground also, but not here so pictures of them will need to wait.
The one on the right (in the black pot) is the "root over rock" which I'm looking forward to checking out come repotting in a few months.
🍺
SCP_01.jpg

... and here's a bud detail shot ... looking healthy I think as we head into Autumn (Fall) ...
SCP_02.jpg

Bonsai Outeiro

Sapling
Reaction score
Looking very good!

BTW, my few attemps to produce scots pine cutting have miserably failed... I linked my failure to the fact that scots are single flush pines, but now I see where is the problem... 🤦‍♂️

Berra

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very nice! I want to try this too, I have had issues getting JBP surviving the winter here. Following :)

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lookin good! Did you wire for movement and if so, when? I assume the timeline would be similar as that of JBPs?

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Lookin good! Did you wire for movement and if so, when? I assume the timeline would be similar as that of JBPs?
No wire yet. In terms of development compared to my JBP these are far behind so I feel like I have plenty of time. Since the pics above were taken I have thinned some needles though and I think wiring in some basic initial movement is a good thing to get out of the way in the coming weeks... it’s about to happen!
🍺

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Update on the “root over rock” tree I posted about awhile back. Last winter I lifted it and gave it a pot, exposing some of the rock. It was essentially left over spring/summer to grow and then today I decided to relieve it of its sacrifice branch and give it an initial primary style.
Not sure if I love the jin… I’ll leave it for now though. There are plenty of buds developing so I am sure the final silhouette/shape will get altered as these develop into something.
I’m pretty happy with this progress since it was a seed 3.5 years ago or so.
🍺
19AB9787-E042-4332-9D4F-F7F66394CAFB.jpeg
4874ABCE-D8EF-4E7E-9983-B6064C3C8898.jpeg
054C6E1D-7534-4CDA-922D-C736F22E00FC.jpeg

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Had a look this tree today that was ground grown for a bit then transferred back into a pot in July last year.
First time really considering what to do with this tree from a styling perspective, so cut back and set some branching for how I see this tree developing.
It's got fantastically short internodes and needle length also works well with a shohin sized tree. I haven't measured but I doubt this is above 15cms in height.
I think I'm happy with where it is for now. It's a decent start.
🍺
SCP-0423 IG_01.jpg
SCP-0423 IG_02.jpg

JEads

Mame
Reaction score
These trees are really nice!
Scots pines tend to send out way too many shoots and cause reverse taper. I noticed that this one has a small reverse taper. Do you imagine that that taper will work itself out over time as the nebari and roots grow?

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
These trees are really nice!
Scots pines tend to send out way too many shoots and cause reverse taper. I noticed that this one has a small reverse taper. Do you imagine that that taper will work itself out over time as the nebari and roots grow?
Yeah, they do seem to create concentrated bundles of buds that can be problematic, particularly when ground growing - it can be hard to really see everything that is going on until you get it at eye level. This tree definitely has a mild case of inverse taper as a result. I would imagine it will blend and dissipate as the tree develops, but I also have a plan that I might implement next repot that I think could help.
🍺

Dabbler

Shohin
Reaction score
Really great work - another few years these will be lookers!

Top Bottom