san jose twin trunk

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Very nice tree. You might take a good bit off the left-hand side and some off the right -- especially that lower branch. In fact, looking at it now, that small branch on lower right could go away entirely.

Attachments

• jun.jpg
    jun.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 115

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's pretty sick.

I think a tilt just a few degrees right could complete its wickedness.

Something about the way that both trunks are on the same, \ /, except wider.....
Would be a little more pleasing closer to
\ __ without the right horizontal of course!
Ah screw it! Here ish.aviary-image-1448796835718.jpeg

Nice pads!

Sorce

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Agree!. The more I look at it the more un natural it looks with the horizontal pads being pretty muCH in line with one another. A tilt is in its near future.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks better.

I think the tilted angle makes the right trunk perpendicular to the soil line and the left trunk almost 90º straight up. Maybe you could get a branch bender, guy wires, or something to compress the trunks more towards each other.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
the horizontal pads being pretty muCH in line with one another

Pre tilt. I was looking at the possibility of just bringing the left trunks left pads down a bit.

Post tilt.....who knows!?
It maybe could still be that easy......but a lot more manipulation!

Either way.... I appreciate your work...
This is gonna be a good tree!

Sorce

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
2016-08-14 23.28.19.jpg2016-08-14 23.28.19.jpg2016-08-14 23.28.19.jpg Update, well , we haven't found a pot for it yet that we really like so we did pretty much a complete bare root this past spring into some good soil. The old soil was almost considered a masonry unit. Incredible improvement. , the growth has been long and leggy bit were getting some great back budding to cut back to! Did a little more pruning on it tonight. Still a couple years off from anything but I'm still enjoying it! , wow ok sorry about the multiple pics hahaha :D:eek:

Attachments

• 1471231316019.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 2

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
To be honest it was a tough decision , but I think I got the most out of the material this go round. I just couldn’t be satisfied with the original image ,too angly, not fluid enough. I liked the open prairie feel it had but just wasn’t happy with it , we’ll see what happens this year going to pot it up this spring

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 175012

New front and angle , aggressive grafting time coming

I like this decision...except, and its probly just the lighting....that middle DW section....
Its distracting.
Could be further sticking out because of how well the shape matches the pot edge shape .
Something about the look of it, as, "the beginning" of this tree, doesn't gel with the rest of the shape.

An easy fix if necessary at all, to what is otherwise an excellent decision IMO.

Sorce

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It does need some attention I agree, distracting , maybe I’ll give it a shot this year , there is a hollow in between the trunks that I dug out earlier last year , it was completely rotten . So I soaked it in lime and stuck it back on the bench . I’m not huge on power tool carving (probably because I don’t have the right bits ,and you can take it off but it’s a bit harder putting it back on ) I suppose I need some practice material to start with.

Also this picture is missing some of the depth and jins that add a nice soft touch . I used a certain filter on the iPhone and it cuts out a bunch of stuff , sort of like a compressor in music production /engineering.

Thanks ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Vin

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
It does need some attention I agree, distracting , maybe I’ll give it a shot this year , there is a hollow in between the trunks that I dug out earlier last year , it was completely rotten . So I soaked it in lime and stuck it back on the bench . I’m not huge on power tool carving (probably because I don’t have the right bits ,and you can take it off but it’s a bit harder putting it back on ) I suppose I need some practice material to start with.

Also this picture is missing some of the depth and jins that add a nice soft touch . I used a certain filter on the iPhone and it cuts out a bunch of stuff , sort of like a compressor in music production /engineering.

Thanks ?

Always hard to get the picture right compared to what you see in person. The struggle is real! it hard because pictures are 2d, but this looks great. Keep it up

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks great! I imagine in better light, where we can see the base and bark, the deadwood won't be so distracting. The large cut where there used to be a branch in the front, probably would look nice just worked with hand tools. If it had more of a story of the hardship this tree has endured. Overall damn fine tree, one I would enjoy seeing in my yard!

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Abosolutley , I will be taking the hand tools to it sometime this year , I will take some nice pictures when I set up my back drop and nice camera. Will do this when I start repotting everyone !

The bark , well this summer I was rooting around looking for bugs ? on all my trees and found some channeling, after flaking off some bark I found some sort of borers that we’re going to town , so I stripped all the flaky bark off and treated , I had intended on leaving the rough bark on this one and not cleaning /sanding to get the smooth reddish bark, but I didn’t have much choice , didn’t want to take any chances , so the bark isn’t all that pretty yet, but the deadwood and uro feature should make up for it , thanks for the compliments guys ! ? happy ?’s for everyone this year

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
thanks g, I'm trying to find a pot for this one too! So many pots I need! my wallets going to be feeling it :eek:o_O

Top Bottom