Satsuki Azalea cuttings

Kalebh

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hi guys, need some advice. About 3-4 weeks ago I took some Satsuki Azalea cuttings. I used the rooting gel and planted them deep in the potting soil I had another azalea in. I also placed the pot in a large plastic bag in a shady spot in my home. They're in a pot together and I was hoping to repot them in solo pots once they have put out strong roots. This is my first time attempting azalea cuttings. All info would be appreciated.👍 Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20200322_212407.jpg
    IMG_20200322_212407.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 68

Kalebh

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
What are you asking?
I guess I'm asking should I check them for roots after another month then repot. Or should I wait for several months or a year? I just don't want them to grow together.

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
Leave until you see new growth consistently. They won’t be hard to separate. At least they won’t die from separating. They are easy to root but will fool you as they can stay green looking and even throw a couple of leaves without yet rooting

Kalebh

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Leave until you see new growth consistently. They won’t be hard to separate. At least they won’t die from separating. They are easy to root but will fool you as they can stay green looking and even throw a couple of leaves without yet rooting
Ok that's great info, so do you think they will be ready to separate by fall August, September time frame?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I usually do azalea cuttings late summer or autumn. They only take a month or so to get roots at that time. Azalea roots are very fine and short so they will not show up at the drain holes like other plants which can make it harder to tell when they are ready. If in doubt leave them longer. They are not difficult to separate even if the roots are entwined. Azalea will survive transplant with very few roots so it does not matter if a few break when you pot up.
The bag is a great strategy but don't keep them too shady. The leaves need some good light to make the food that will make new roots.

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
I found they root easily but then get root rot from soil being too wet VERY easily! :/

Kalebh

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I usually do azalea cuttings late summer or autumn. They only take a month or so to get roots at that time. Azalea roots are very fine and short so they will not show up at the drain holes like other plants which can make it harder to tell when they are ready. If in doubt leave them longer. They are not difficult to separate even if the roots are entwined. Azalea will survive transplant with very few roots so it does not matter if a few break when you pot up.
The bag is a great strategy but don't keep them too shady. The leaves need some good light to make the food that will make new roots.
So how long would you leave them in the container they are in? Until New growth or late summer early fall?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
So how long would you leave them in the container they are in? Until New growth or late summer early fall?
I leave them together for at least the whole year. If you struck them this year, I’d separate and repot them in Spring of 2021.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I usually pot up quicker than that but it all depends on how well they grow. Your climate could be way different from here. Leaving them to grow for a year is probably safer.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I spoke with the folks at Nuccios Nursery in SoCal who specialize in Satsuki and Camellias. They recommend a minimum of 4 months to separate cuttings there, so 12 months would be safe in most all climates.
Also mentioned their experience is that Satsuki cuttings do the same with or without rooting hormone.
Cheers
DSD sends

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I spoke with the folks at Nuccios Nursery in SoCal who specialize in Satsuki and Camellias. They recommend a minimum of 4 months to separate cuttings there, so 12 months would be safe in most all climates.
Also mentioned their experience is that Satsuki cuttings do the same with or without rooting hormone.
Cheers
DSD sends
He did cuttings not air layers. Cuttings should strike in about a month if he used current season flush that harden off. Based on his initial post which was March I would assume that was last year's growth. Depending how woody the stem was if could be 1-6 months to strike roots....all depends on the environment the cuttings were placed in and how woody the cutting was.

I guess I'm asking should I check them for roots after another month then repot. Or should I wait for several months or a year? I just don't want them to grow together.
To check if they rooted, you can lightly pull several around the pot if they resist being pulled out then they have rooted. As far as keeping them together or separating the cuttings.....that's personal preference. I like to separate a bit after they have rooted into separate pots, because if you leave them together their roots will become a tangled mess. During the pot up i spread the roots out evenly. Also if you leave them together you risk loosing multiple cuttings should one get diseased as they share the same pot and are in close proximity to each other.

1 pot = less space needed and multiple pots = more space needed............something to consider.

Here's some of my azaleas potted up to give you an idea.
thumbnail_20200715_144229.jpg

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
He did cuttings not air layers. Cuttings should strike in about a month if he used current season flush that harden off.

Not sure what you meant by air layers? But I like your lay out!
Cheers
DSD sends

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
They recommend a minimum of 4 months to separate cuttings there, so 12 months would be safe in most all climates.

Thanks! I have 4 tables done still have one table left to paint. But been busy with other things around the house, and then when I'm ready to paint it rains.

I mentioned airlayer becuase of what you wrote above. You seperate air layers from the donor plant, cuttings are already cut. He's dealing with cuttings.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My poor word choice, I meant wait at least 4 months before removing the cuttings from the grow tray.
btw: sending a PM about the azalea contest pot.
Cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom