Sayonomai Satsuki

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is a variety that I've not seen frequently, the flowers are large but double lavender is just super cool. Can't wait till it's done blooming to get it out of that ugly pot....
The left side has not opened yet, so it's a bit lopsided.:rolleyes:
IMG_1468.jpgIMG_1469.jpgIMG_1470.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Lovely blooms you have there! Curious what the new shoes will look like.
I find that with Satsuki, I like unglazed. Preferably Gyouzan.. This one is getting a very cool old Chinese pot. Funny the pics show up more pink, in person they are very lavender.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I find that with Satsuki, I like unglazed. Preferably Gyouzan.. This one is getting a very cool old Chinese pot. Funny the pics show up more pink, in person they are very lavender.

I am with you on this, Judy, I think that unglazed looks much better on azaleas.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
thats nice! If you lime the wood stark white, a red based pot would look nice too - least to me

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Beautiful pot.
I can not read Japanese or Chinese, but I did take 2 semesters of Chinese. Learned enough to know I will never, ever be able to even do baby talk in Chinese. But I did learn to recognize a few parts of characters. LOL your photo of the signature is upside down. LOL. No clue what it says, but I got that much. :cool:

I for one am of the opinion that glazed or unglazed is very pot and tree pairing specific. I like some glazed pots with azalea, I like many unglazed pots with azalea. I had a mugo pine in a Randy Davis salt glazed pot, quite colorful, for a couple years. Rule number one, there are no rules. Rule number 2, if confused, see rule number one. Rule number 3, the Japanese aesthetic is a fully developed artistic system, if the Japanese ''rules'' of display tell you something, there is a fairly good chance that it will be at least attractive, if not the ''perfect'' thing to do, it will be ''good enough''. Good to fall back on if you don't know what direction to go.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Beautiful pot.
I can not read Japanese or Chinese, but I did take 2 semesters of Chinese. Learned enough to know I will never, ever be able to even do baby talk in Chinese. But I did learn to recognize a few parts of characters. LOL your photo of the signature is upside down. LOL. No clue what it says, but I got that much. :cool:

This is what Matt O. told me about this pot.
This handmade pot is by Ichiyu (don’t confuse with ichiyo). It’s a special anniversary pot the bottom says ‘Showa 57 year, January. traditional making. Made by Ichiyu’ Showa 57 is 1982 btw

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think the feet make that pot just spectacular, and that azalea will be stunning in it.
I agree, I jumped on it because the feet are so awesome. And I think the coloring is very good for the flower color.

Top Bottom