Scarification on 3 YO seedlings; Japanese Red Pind, Scots Pine and JBP

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This topic came up in one of Mr. Schrader's awesome pine progressions, and I was asked by another member to post my results. Mr. Schrader has pointed out that this method can/may lead to a 'manufactured' pattern in the bark; it could be that this procedure was developed by bonsai nurseries to develop stout shohin pines (not a lot of exposed trunk features) in the shortest amount of time. I used it because I wanted to create taper and have full control of the trunk's movement throughout the design. I have not seen this process the whole way through, but i'll continue to post follow-ups unless this proves to be absolutely worthless.

It should be noted that if left unchecked, this can cause reverse taper if a very short amount of time; the trunk will bulge more quickly on younger growth (more vigorous growth) than lower on the trunk, so it's a good idea to unwrap the wire, from the top down, through out this process when an "upper-section" had bulged as much (hopefully not more) as the section below. Also some ample thought into strategic placement of the wire will help produce more favorable results: wires create indentations, and bulges form above wire. This is a whole discussion in of itself, albeit a short discussion.
Not saying I nailed it here...but there is a start of decent taper and barking.

Attachments

• scots pine 1.1.jpg
    scots pine 1.1.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 73
  • scots pine 1.2.jpg
    scots pine 1.2.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 72
  • scots pine 1.jpg
    scots pine 1.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 82
  • scots pine 2.jpg
    scots pine 2.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 67
  • JRP.jpg
    JRP.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 72

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. I'll be following your thread. Would like to see the results as time passes.

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks for sharing. I'll be following your thread. Would like to see the results as time passes.

Ok, looks like I'll need to step up the photography then. The 1st beer I have tonight will be toasted to raising the bar!
Happy Friday!

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You did this to create taper and bark quicker? Interesting, never seen this before. So where you wanted the most swelling and taper, did you coil the wire closer, and as you went up you spread it further apart for gradually less swelling? I am also looking forward to how this turns out. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom