Scorched Maple Leaf Help

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So I came home to find my maple’s leaves were all scorched by the sun. What would be my next steps? Defoliation? Will she survive? What would be the recovery process and how long would that take? She had plenty of water as I water her every morning and have a humidity tray under her as well. Thanks for the feedback! This is her pre-scorch. 91BE849A-B8CF-487C-8AFE-04465071ADF0.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The pre-scorch pic looks a bit mottled.

Post-scorch pics?

Seems @Smoke may have returned to help you with this problem in that area.

I don't believe anyone knows knows the difference between fungals and scorch better than Smoke.

Sorce

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
3644B211-B4F3-44B3-BBA0-A1BA3EC1B612.jpegAD97CB93-B49D-4A80-9AF5-6C814A4DA03D.jpegThe pre-scorch pic looks a bit mottled.

Post-scorch pics?

Seems @Smoke may have returned to help you with this problem in that area.

I don't believe anyone knows knows the difference between fungals and scorch better than Smoke.

Sorce
I did not take post-scorch pictures unfortunately and in trying to fix it quickly did a quick Google search and read defoliation was the best thing to do. Now I’m not so sure and wanted to get your guys advice. The leaves were definitely shriveled and crunchy though. There was one tiny leaf that I noticed but not sure if it was their post scorch or if it is a brand new growth. But here is an up close of the leaves. Thanks for the reply and including Smoke!

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Gosh, not sure what to say if there are no post images of your maple.

My first impression is over watering, yet no photo no analysis.

Cheers
DSD sends

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Gosh, not sure what to say if there are no post images of your maple.

My first impression is over watering, yet no photo no analysis.

Cheers
DSD sends
I know, I can’t believe I didn’t take a pic! Could definitely be overwatering was the culprit. Moving from 6a to 9b, Southwest Colorado to Fresno California, has me adjusting my daily practices with all my plants and bonsai. Hopefully there won’t be too much loss in the learning curve. Thanks DSD

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the reply and including Smoke!

Ignoramus may still have me on ignore so someone else may have to summon him.

You did Defoliate?

I would Defoliate scorched leaves Or fungal problems without much hesitation.

It is important though that it doesn't happen again, so I'd want to get a handle on your shade cloth situation, watering and what have you before doing so.

Sorce

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Ignoramus may still have me on ignore so someone else may have to summon him.

You did Defoliate?

I would Defoliate scorched leaves Or fungal problems without much hesitation.

It is important though that it doesn't happen again, so I'd want to get a handle on your shade cloth situation, watering and what have you before doing so.

Sorce
I did defoliate already thinking that was the best thing to do. I just started doubting myself after and what to do from here. Good to hear you would’ve chosen that as a possibility as well! I’m totally doing prep work today and the rest of the week as our temperatures are reaching into the hundreds within the next seven days and my balcony is west facing. 😬 Ouch !! Thanks again.

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
@Smoke is a local guy who I think got a little fed up with the bonsai forum Godschick. He and I were texting a while back and was going to meet over at his spot and see his plants, but he was dealing with some things and life kinda took over and we never met up

he’s pretty good with dealing with our climate and if you can reach out I’m sure he’d be willing to assist a newcomer to the area.

my advice, do NOT defoliate. Get some protection for those maples, they don’t want direct sunlight in this heat we are about to get, especially in a pot. Hopefully you didn’t put it in an all gritty soil, that plant will want a little bit more water retention in our climate, so pine bark or even some potting soil mixed in with your grit.

i am interested in hearing Smokes take also as I have many maples, some in large pots and they all eventually start struggling in the summer and I have them in very filtered sunlight / shade and keep them hydrated. They’re just not desert plants lol

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I did not take post-scorch pictures unfortunately and in trying to fix it quickly did a quick Google search and read defoliation was the best thing to do. Now I’m not so sure and wanted to get your guys advice. The leaves were definitely shriveled and crunchy though. There was one tiny leaf that I noticed but not sure if it was their post scorch or if it is a brand new growth. But here is an up close of the leaves. Thanks for the reply and including Smoke!
Scorched leaves are ugly but unless it is SEVERE, not usually a big health issue- just cosmetic.

Defoliation is almost never a solution for an ailing tree. (Baring some rampant infestation of critters you simply cannot remove by other means perhaps).

Defoliation is a technique for refining a tree that is in advanced stages of development. The tree pictured is NOT.

Leaf scorch is usually due to too much sun on a leaf that had previously developed in shade. Sometimes wind can cause it but I believe it to be more a factor of the wind drying the tree out and making it more susceptible to scorch. (A cause nonetheless) Maples can be a bit sensitive, so if in full sun, maybe get it a bit of shade and put it close to a wall to protect from some wind. Defoliation will probably not harm your tree appreciably, but it absolutely will slow it’s growth this season and for that tree- strong growth and trunk expansion should be your primary goals. IMO

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Always hard to give best advice from a description only but in general I agree with @Eric Group above.
Burnt leaves are definitely only cosmetic and leaves have some green they are valuable to the tree. If leaves are too badly scorched the tree will drop them and grow new ones without our help.
Having said that, most trees are resilient so they can cope with occasional defoliation. Provided the dehydration was not too severe your tree should grow a new set of leaves.

While overwatering can affect trees in pots, when Japanese maple leaves are scorched in warm climate in spring dehydration is almost always the cause. If the soil is dry when you get home and find scorched leaves or wilted new growth then dehydration is most likely.
First aid is to soak the pot in water immediately. Let it soak in water for at least half an hour to ensure the dry soil gets properly wet then reassess watering and tree location to reduce the chance of repeated dehydration.

You'll need to reassess your watering regime and/or positioning of the tree. How often to water is complex and depends on local conditions, temp, humidity, type of soil, type and size of pot and more. I keep maples under shade cloth through summer and still need to water my maples every morning and most afternoons to maintain adequate moisture levels.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would have waited until mid-summer to devoliate if I was going to do anything, but I usually just let them grow. By mid-summer the tree would have accumulated enough energy to bounce back easily from a defoliation.

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Scorched leaves are ugly but unless it is SEVERE, not usually a big health issue- just cosmetic.

Defoliation is almost never a solution for an ailing tree. (Baring some rampant infestation of critters you simply cannot remove by other means perhaps).

Defoliation is a technique for refining a tree that is in advanced stages of development. The tree pictured is NOT.

Leaf scorch is usually due to too much sun on a leaf that had previously developed in shade. Sometimes wind can cause it but I believe it to be more a factor of the wind drying the tree out and making it more susceptible to scorch. (A cause nonetheless) Maples can be a bit sensitive, so if in full sun, maybe get it a bit of shade and put it close to a wall to protect from some wind. Defoliation will probably not harm your tree appreciably, but it absolutely will slow it’s growth this season and for that tree- strong growth and trunk expansion should be your primary goals. IMO
Thanks for all the good advice! I do have her right next to a wall now. She’ll only get a little morning sun so no afternoon direct sun anymore. I agree with your opinion, strong growth and trunk expansion is my total goal. With slowing her growth down from defoliation, it may not happen much until next season. This season I’m just focusing on her survival. Newbies and their google searches!! 😣

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
@Smoke is a local guy who I think got a little fed up with the bonsai forum Godschick. He and I were texting a while back and was going to meet over at his spot and see his plants, but he was dealing with some things and life kinda took over and we never met up

he’s pretty good with dealing with our climate and if you can reach out I’m sure he’d be willing to assist a newcomer to the area.

my advice, do NOT defoliate. Get some protection for those maples, they don’t want direct sunlight in this heat we are about to get, especially in a pot. Hopefully you didn’t put it in an all gritty soil, that plant will want a little bit more water retention in our climate, so pine bark or even some potting soil mixed in with your grit.

i am interested in hearing Smokes take also as I have many maples, some in large pots and they all eventually start struggling in the summer and I have them in very filtered sunlight / shade and keep them hydrated. They’re just not desert plants lol
Akadama, pumice and lava I believe is the substrate mix she is in. I actually didn’t plant her but bought her from a local bonsai nursery. I relocated her next to a wall and I’m going to get some shade cloth to keep her covered this summer. Living here is going to be an adjustment with my plants and trees! Thanks for your “local “advice 🙂 And thanks for the heads up about Smoke. It’ll be nice to connect with people from this area who know a lot more than me. I’ve even had to completely adjust my watering schedule among other things since moving here. There’s definitely a learning curve and I hope my plants and trees don’t suffer because of it. Thanks again!

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Always hard to give best advice from a description only but in general I agree with @Eric Group above.
Burnt leaves are definitely only cosmetic and leaves have some green they are valuable to the tree. If leaves are too badly scorched the tree will drop them and grow new ones without our help.
Having said that, most trees are resilient so they can cope with occasional defoliation. Provided the dehydration was not too severe your tree should grow a new set of leaves.

While overwatering can affect trees in pots, when Japanese maple leaves are scorched in warm climate in spring dehydration is almost always the cause. If the soil is dry when you get home and find scorched leaves or wilted new growth then dehydration is most likely.
First aid is to soak the pot in water immediately. Let it soak in water for at least half an hour to ensure the dry soil gets properly wet then reassess watering and tree location to reduce the chance of repeated dehydration.

You'll need to reassess your watering regime and/or positioning of the tree. How often to water is complex and depends on local conditions, temp, humidity, type of soil, type and size of pot and more. I keep maples under shade cloth through summer and still need to water my maples every morning and most afternoons to maintain adequate moisture levels.
Thankfully I did soak her as soon as I realized her leaves were scorched. I guess my natural instinct was correct on that part 😂 I’m currently just trying to adjust my watering schedule to acclimate to this area as opposed to Colorado. Thanks for the advice and hopefully she’ll bounce back soon!

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So I came home to find my maple’s leaves were all scorched by the sun. What would be my next steps? Defoliation? Will she survive? What would be the recovery process and how long would that take? She had plenty of water as I water her every morning and have a humidity tray under her as well. Thanks for the feedback! This is her pre-scorch. View attachment 435013
Fresno is the same as Sacramento only closer to the sun! :mad:
The TWO maples I am down to ..... japanese and trident...are all I can deal with.
This year the tiny palmatum.....carefully tended in only morning sun....is already WIND scorched! Just a bit and only in spots.
BUT once the oven turns on, I expect it to revert to its usual summer ugly rattiness.
CA central is NOT a home for maples!
Usually.

Olives, man. OLIVES! Oaks! Pines! Elms!

Cacti, chopsticks, rocks, rusty cars, bricks....all seem well suited to this climate.

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Fresno is the same as Sacramento only closer to the sun! :mad:
The TWO maples I am down to ..... japanese and trident...are all I can deal with.
This year the tiny palmatum.....carefully tended in only morning sun....is already WIND scorched! Just a bit and only in spots.
BUT once the oven turns on, I expect it to revert to its usual summer ugly rattiness.
CA central is NOT a home for maples!
Usually.

Olives, man. OLIVES! Oaks! Pines! Elms!

Cacti, chopsticks, rocks, rusty cars, bricks....all seem well suited to this climate.
Ha rusty cars, rocks and bricks 😂 I believe it’s going to get very brutal here for the next few months! I think maples are absolutely beautiful but I’m not so sure it’s a great choice for me until I get acclimated to this area. I think I’m just going to try to see how this summer plays out before I add much more to my collection. I’m still new so it’s very small and a few losses will be pretty significant. Luckily I do have some pines and elms and I think I’ll focus on those this summer and perhaps maybe add another maple later. I just find they are so beautiful and it’s hard not to want one or a few. But clearly not if they are fried and dead. Perhaps my next one will be an olive instead.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for all the good advice! I do have her right next to a wall now. She’ll only get a little morning sun so no afternoon direct sun anymore. I agree with your opinion, strong growth and trunk expansion is my total goal. With slowing her growth down from defoliation, it may not happen much until next season. This season I’m just focusing on her survival. Newbies and their google searches!! 😣
Location near a wall isn't helping things. Walls are heat sinks collecting heat in the daytime and radiating that heat back out at night. They also act as big reflectors of heat. Your tree is likely suffering from overheating along with excessive sun exposure. Japanese maples don't like hot roots. Any way you can minimize that heat, do it. A white towel placed over the pot could help a bit in the heat of the day. Best solution would be to move the tree somewhere away from the wall.

I agree defoliation at this point is not a great thing to do. Japanese maples can survive well with moderately burned leaves. Around here, nurseries sell off Japanese maples in late august because some tend to look really unattractive with a lot of crispy leaves. Those trees are a steal as the damage is only cosmetic and temporary, while the tree is mostly fine.

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
@rockm thanks for the redirection on the wall. Man without y’all‘s help this poor thing wouldn’t have a snowball chance in hell. 😂 Sounds like I need to visit one of those sales after summer and give it another try. I don’t wanna give up on Maples for sure. I just moved her. Thanks again!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@rockm thanks for the redirection on the wall. Man without y’all‘s help this poor thing wouldn’t have a snowball chance in hell. 😂 Sounds like I need to visit one of those sales after summer and give it another try. I don’t wanna give up on Maples for sure. I just moved her. Thanks again!
You can reach me at 559.274.5435. Come by and see what growing maples in Fresno is all about.

Top Bottom