Scots pine progression

Jan Olav

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a couple of pictures showing the progression of a collected scots pine. It stretches over about 5 years. It started off with me climbing the hills and nearly falling off a cliff when I saw this tree. It had been sitting there waiting for me for about 2-300 years. It was a bit tall, but there was reduction in sight. Once home I had to make a huge coffin like box for it. I got the entire rootball with me off the mountain, heavy stuff. Here we go, yamadori day:

Attachments

• Pine-in-a-pot-collection.jpg
    Pine-in-a-pot-collection.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 144
  • Pine in a pot3.jpg
    Pine in a pot3.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 132
  • Pine in a pot4.jpg
    Pine in a pot4.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

Jan Olav

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After a year or two with heavy feeding and some root reduction I decided to cut off the main tall trunk as the image of a tree became clearer. I really enjoy walking about and looking at raw trees in my garden. They seem to change character as time goes by.

Attachments

• Pine-in-a-pot-before1.jpg
    Pine-in-a-pot-before1.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 130
  • Pine-in-a-pot-before.jpg
    Pine-in-a-pot-before.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 120

Jan Olav

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Finally last year I was able to cut off the last of the big roots. I I got the tree in a decent size pot and let it rest until this spring. I did some serious bending and wiring to get it compact, but the tree just seemed to like it. I have been feeding it every week and watering it every day, even in rainy weather all summer. First picture is from last year and the other 2 is how it looks today. The reason why the pot is off in the pictures is that I got a new front after styling and I do not want to mess with the roots this year. I will make a rough round pot for it and repot next spring. I do not know about back and front and all that yet, thats why I want it in a round pot. Hopefully it will work from any direction. Still another 4-5 years to go to get the foliage dense and tight, but is is on its way. Hope you enjoyed the short story. :)

Attachments

• Pine-in-a-pot-before2.jpg
    Pine-in-a-pot-before2.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 126
  • Pine-in-a-pot2.jpg
    Pine-in-a-pot2.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 132
  • Pine-in-a-pot.jpg
    Pine-in-a-pot.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 147

Jan Olav

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just one more. Check out the bark on this baby. I can hide my finger in it!

Attachments

• Pine-in-a-pot-bark.jpg
    Pine-in-a-pot-bark.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 97
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Nice progression as I was reading throught this I said to my self ooh no he cut the one off I saw as the leader. Then after seeing what you did with the lower branch I think your decision was the correct one .It is hard to see somthing in 2d and not all sides Great tree and good job.

Lancaster

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Nice material Jan. Good score!. And nice progression with the tree so far. How long did it take you to put that much of a bend on those branches? Days? weeks? months?

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I really admire what you have created,very cool.

Jan Olav

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you guys.
Lancaster, actually it was hours. I use regular black tape applied with the glue faced outwards as support. Scots are really tough and can take a good beating without any signs of worry, as long as they are in good growth and well fed. I prepare the branches by giving them a "warm up". I wiggle them back and forth for a while before the bend.

Top Bottom