Scrub oak

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think this oak is a Q. Agrifolia. I bought it this summer and plan to repot in the spring. In the meantime I've been bending a couple of the branches. The trunk is about as thick as my forearms. I'm excited to get it into a pot. Any observations or comments always appreciate.

Attachments

• oak-042.jpg
    oak-042.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 165
  • oak-052.jpg
    oak-052.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 130
  • oak-078.jpg
    oak-078.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 156

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
That's a good one. Where did you get it? We don't have many oaks good for bonsai here in the Southeast.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We do have good oaks for bonsai in the Southeast. Live oak, willow oak, pin oak and even white oak (although it's a little more difficult), are all used and make excellent bonsai.

I would not bother bending branches on an oak. I would simply hard prune them. Those branches are way too big for the apex. Hard pruning will stimulate twiggier backbudding. I use hard pruning to induce thicker closer growth on my live oak--have for years.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think this oak is a Q. Agrifolia. I bought it this summer and plan to repot in the spring. In the meantime I've been bending a couple of the branches. The trunk is about as thick as my forearms. I'm excited to get it into a pot. Any observations or comments always appreciate.

I'll echo what rockm said. Cut it back to encourage budding and tighter growth in the crown.

Zach

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A second look at the tree..I'd say that branch you're bending should be completely removed. The apex of your tree is the group of branches where that long branch begins...If you use that branch as an extension, you minimize the great compact angularity of the trunk...

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
A second look at the tree..I'd say that branch you're bending should be completely removed. The apex of your tree is the group of branches where that long branch begins...If you use that branch as an extension, you minimize the great compact angularity of the trunk...
I agree with Mark....Just lose that branch.
Irene

Mike Page

Mame
Reaction score
Here's a virtual of how I see the future of this Coast Oak. A wide spreading crown is typical of these trees in their natural habitat, and I like to see it expressed in bonsai.

Mike

Attachments

• zzzoakvirtual.jpg
    zzzoakvirtual.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 111

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's a virtual of how I see the future of this Coast Oak. A wide spreading crown is typical of these trees in their natural habitat, and I like to see it expressed in bonsai.

Mike

I agree on the spreading crown. That is one reason I kept the long branch and bent it back toward the viewer. I"m hoping that its secondary branches would create a dynamic crown, but I seem to be in the minority regarding the branch; I may need to rethink that one.

Thanks for the input.

noissee

Mame
Reaction score
I usually really like a more naturally styled tree, but like Rockm, I see "angularity" (thats a good word) in this tree, and a spreading crown just doesn't jive with that. This might be a good candidate for a "bonsai" looking tree. Like with foliage pads and angularity.

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I think the tree would look nice in Mike's virt if you cut off the right branch. Just a thought.

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
I think the tree would look nice in Mike's virt if you cut off the right branch. Just a thought.

I second that. It would almost look like a smaller version of one of Naka's Gold Coast Oaks.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"I agree on the spreading crown. That is one reason I kept the long branch and bent it back toward the viewer. I"m hoping that its secondary branches would create a dynamic crown, but I seem to be in the minority regarding the branch; I may need to rethink that one."

That long branch will NOT contribute to a spreading crown. It will actually work the opposite way. The branch is too thick for the apex and as a dominant branch will continue to use the majority of the energy in that area. Left unchecked, it will suppress any other branching. That's the way oaks work--I've got a live oak that produces thick apes growth just like this. It has to be checked and hacked back to induce twiggier--spreading secondary and tertiary growth...

Top Bottom