Sean’s Trident Projects

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I really do get the most out of my Audi A3 hatchback 😂

A new tree to me, picked up this landscape trident and a ginkgo on Monday for the equivalent of 19 USD/17 EUR/14 GBP each. The trident has a nice fat base and some low shoots already present. I plan on layering off 2 trunk sections further up and then working with the base next season.

View attachment 414576

I really do get the most out of my Audi A3 hatchback 😂
Hatchbacks rule! Great flexible utility without going all in on a pick up or full SUV.

Also really nice work with your Tridents, it's great to see, thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
Great thread. These tridents seedlings were sent from the @Shibui Nursery somewhere in highlands Australia I believe, to the big smoke Sydney.

The lower pic is much maligned and poopooed, maybe on another forum “fuse method”as found on Shibuis site .

TBH i was on board with the poopooing until a a guy paid $230 aud for one fuse last winter ie: without leaves so brave .
I
8D0D4CF0-1F86-40AF-A0FC-0BCE06998CC9-COLLAGE.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Did you find any? I’m interested too.

I used these folks

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
This ROR trident is one of the trees I’m most proud of. 3 years old with 2 years in the ground. This past season I managed to grow a section of trunk, start a new leader, and start on the branching, all while still in my grow bed. I’m so chuffed with how it’s turned out!

Freshly dug

View attachment 503996

Potted up

View attachment 503997
View attachment 503998
View attachment 503999
View attachment 504000

August last year and 2021 when I started it, using the @Shibui foil method

View attachment 504001

Update on this ROR. 2nd cutback of the season and partial defoliation. I cut the leader a few weeks ago and left the resultant new shoots alone this time round. The next time I work on it will be to wire the new shoots. A small branch on the left was also wired and left alone to thicken.

IMG_8492.jpegIMG_8493.jpegIMG_8494.jpegIMG_8495.jpegIMG_8496.jpegIMG_8497.jpegIMG_8498.jpegIMG_8499.jpegIMG_8500.jpeg

birchman

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Separated a fat little layer today. This one had been growing through a washer for 3 season, I finally got around to layering it this season.
Interesting roots, will need to see what if it manages to fill in the gaps between now and spring.
Very thick roots. What was the layering substrate?

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This will be the first year I will be attempting to air layer my trident, I hope I can have the same success you are having down there! So far I have layered a few junipers, super easy with just a tourniquet. The one I will be layering is larger so a washer won't work, but I will make sure I girdle and clean up the site well.

Top Bottom