Second floor overwintering

typoolVT

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I live in zone 6b and I'm on the 2nd floor in an apartment.. I have about 20 or so small trees mostly deciduous trees and a few pines. I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas for overwintering,mostly my maples and elms. I thought about putting them in a big container of some sort and mulch around them, but once we get those nights that dip down below the teens, everything will freeze. I have a garage at work that I could put everything in but that is my last resort.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 37

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You could try plastic containers (big storage boxes) with mulch or pine horse bedding packed in the box around them. The only concern would be them warming up too much if the sun hits them or on those warmer days. I would try to get the colored ones not the clear boxes. I would try the ones that are approximately 18 inches wide, 2 feet high, 2.5 feet long. That way they are each easy to move around if you have to.

I dont know how well that would work but its worth a try.

Good luck

typoolVT

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have this plastic concrete mixing bin that I bought from Lowes. They're only like 6 bucks so I could afford a couple more of them and some mulch. Also, I get good morning sun until around noon. I can keep them in shade if need be.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 14

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would tend to agree with Paradox. The trees dont need light, and sun would warm them up, which you dont want. They need occasional water, no light, no wind. The mixing tub is a bit shallow. Mulch around the pots will help them from warming up, not to keep them from freezing. You might want to put some styrofoam board under them so they dont sit in water but still get some proteciton from the temperature changes.

typoolVT

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So should I not worry about my roots freezing, especially my new trident I just bought and am babying. I've brought them inside a few nights when it got down into the20's. But I can't do that every time or my girlfriend will shoot me.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So should I not worry about my roots freezing, especially my new trident I just bought and am babying. I've brought them inside a few nights when it got down into the20's. But I can't do that every time or my girlfriend will shoot me.

We are moving in a few weeks and all of the trees you describe are in 33 quart stirilite ctns from Wally World at 8usd or less each. I drilled a hole in each corner for drainage placed in the pots and surrounded them with pine horse bedding to move them and winter them at the new place. They come with either blue or grey covers and are semi-transparent white. They are tall so have good wind protection and the covers can be used "if" we have some weird warm temps. Actually moving four of them to the new yard tomorrow and I am certain they will all be fine. Place your containers directly on the ground and they will not change temperature quickly but slowly as the ground does. Simple system for complex peeps.

Grimmy

Last edited:

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
frozen roots is OK. The problem is when they thaw, refreeze, thaw, refreeze, etc. Once they freeze, your job is to try and keep them from going through that repeated cycle. NEVER water when frozen. There is no benefit because the roots cant absorb water when they are frozen solid.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
frozen roots is OK. The problem is when they thaw, refreeze, thaw, refreeze, etc. Once they freeze, your job is to try and keep them from going through that repeated cycle. NEVER water when frozen. There is no benefit because the roots cant absorb water when they are frozen solid.

That is something I forgot to mention and I thank Lordy for doing so. I relax on the "water" issue as all of our outdoor plants stay open to rain and snow and by nature it works out for many years. This is the first year in many that I am not able to move/house/control as we are in the middle of an awkward season to do so. Good sense and understanding of the trees allows us to make it work and I really do think you will be happy in the Spring using simple inexpensive advice backed by "older guys" advice.

Grimmy

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That is something I forgot to mention and I thank Lordy for doing so. I relax on the "water" issue as all of our outdoor plants stay open to rain and snow and by nature it works out for many years. This is the first year in many that I am not able to move/house/control as we are in the middle of an awkward season to do so. Good sense and understanding of the trees allows us to make it work and I really do think you will be happy in the Spring using simple inexpensive advice backed by "older guys" advice.

Grimmy
By "older guys" Grimmy meant Grimmy! He's OLD.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
By "older guys" Grimmy meant Grimmy! He's OLD.

I sadly must agree. I retired at the late age of 54 and will be 59 this coming December. I am "kept younger" by my awesome Wife that is 4 years younger then my oldest Son. I am OLD but Blessed and Alive and I enjoy life ;)

Grimmy

typoolVT

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks for all the help! I didn't feel like messing up my first winter with all my new bonsai so I just loaded all of them up in my truck and hauled them to work and put them in a non heated building with some of my other larger trees.. Now I just need to keep the rodents off them and wait until spring!

Top Bottom