Seed Sowing Successes

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I know seed sowing isn’t for everyone but, for a few of us lunatics it’s a fun extension of the bonsai lifestyle.

I’ve seen a thread started every year (or so) inquiring about which species folks are planning to propagate. Having sown tree seeds for several years now, I’ve found that it’s fairly easy to get things to pop. For me, the part that is even more challenging, is getting those babies through the first year or two. It’s especially challenging if you’re not properly outfitted with a greenhouse, misting systems, anti-bird (and other vermin) systems, overwintering protection . . . etc.
No matter how you are set-up, show off your nurturing talents. Let’s see some of those sowing successes that have made it through the first year or three.
FullSizeRender.jpeg
Prunus spinosa:
Seed planted 04/21/22

I’m currently doing Delonix Rex. I failed the first time around. Did some research and wow, they’re weird. No wonder people complain about having a 0 rate of propagation.

I had to soak them for 24 hours then I could scratch them hard enough to get the water to enter the seeds. Then soak another 24 hours to discover they have some weird coating on them that feels like plastic. So scrubbed that off best I could and back to soaking. The whole thing took 36 hours for some of the seeds. Now I’ve got them in a plastic baggie in paper towels. Now there’s some kind of jelly thats coming out of where the roots are starting from. Never seen that before. But they’re not rotting.

I’m currently doing Delonix Rex. I failed the first time around. Did some research and wow, they’re weird. No wonder people complain about having a 0 rate of propagation.

I had to soak them for 24 hours then I could scratch them hard enough to get the water to enter the seeds. Then soak another 24 hours to discover they have some weird coating on them that feels like plastic. So scrubbed that off best I could and back to soaking. The whole thing took 36 hours for some of the seeds. Now I’ve got them in a plastic baggie in paper towels. Now there’s some kind of jelly thats coming out of where the roots are starting from. Never seen that before. But they’re not rotting.
I was able to get one to grow from the 3 seeds I planted. If yours don’t make it, you can have mine . . . I’m just not set up properly to deal with all the tropicals I’ve accumulated so, I end up neglecting them to the point of criminality.

Common Juniper (Juniperus Communis)​

One of the three known species of juniper who’s foliage only exists entirely in the needle form.

The other two needle junipers are the Temple or Needle Juniper (Juniperus rigida) and the Oxycedrus juniper (Juniperus oxycedrus).

FullSizeRender.jpeg
Grown from seed.
• Planted May, 2023
• Purchased from FW Schumacher

As long as I am attempting to grow from seed, I enjoy growing trees that I am unfamiliar with, that are hard to find locally, or that are flat out rare. Willow Hawthorn (Crataegus saligna) is one of those hard to find species that I’ve never heard of and is rather rare (even in the wild).
FullSizeRender.jpeg
Seed Planted: June 7, 2021
Seed Source: Sheffield’s Seeds

I dug these Silver Maple seedlings out of my yard. Here they are soon after I transplanted them in 2021.IMG_6209.png

Here they are in 2022
IMG_6211.png

Here they are in 2023
IMG_6212.png

This year 2024 I finally worked on them and broke the forest upIMG_6027.jpegIMG_6028.jpegIMG_6031.jpeg

I separated the 4 best to grow individually the rest I am making into clumps.
IMG_6035.jpegIMG_6040.jpegIMG_6041.jpegIMG_6043.jpegIMG_6042.jpeg

Last edited:
Koyama Spruce (Picea Koyamae)
Another rare tree that intrigued me.

This is one slow growing species . . . at least when it’s grown in a pot.

FullSizeRender.jpeg
Seed Planted: March 21, 2021

Alder-Leaf Mountain Mahogany (Cercocarpus montanus)
Another slow grower . . . at least for me in my climate. I’ve read that Mountain Mahogany is a slow grower the first few years but, then it will really speed up in subsequent years. I guess I’ll find out.
IMG_8131.jpegFullSizeRender.jpeg
Seed Planted: August, 2020

Delonix regia seed sown 2018
View attachment 543837

Tamarindus indica seeds sown 2021
Wow! In terms of growth, that southern warmth and sunshine makes all the difference in the world!
I have several Japanese Black Pines, Tamaracks, some spruces, and some temperate deciduous trees that have comparable growth but, I had to stick them in the ground for most of their young lives to achieve it.

Wow! In terms of growth, that southern warmth and sunshine makes all the difference in the world!
I have several Japanese Black Pines, Tamaracks, some spruces, and some temperate deciduous trees that have comparable growth but, I had to stick them in the ground for most of their young lives to achieve it.
The Delonix regia is in a Wiggert pot: REB18: 19 3/4″L x 13 1/2″W x 4 7/8″D. The trunk is 2.5" in diameter. I used a 55 gallon drum cut off pot for fast growth for about two years. The tree grew to 6 ft tall in those years before I transferred it into the current pot.

I love starting things from seed indoors over the winter. It breaks up the winter downtime and allows me to still play with plants. I’ve started so many different types at this point that I probably can’t remember them all. Cork oaks, tridents, black pine, red pine, different varieties of j. Maple, full moon maple, Princess persimmon, wisteria, flowering cherry, ginkgo, Ume, goji berri, Zelkova, e. Beech, atlas cedar… I’m sure I’m forgetting a few. Here’s a few I’ve grown from seed over the years, various ages.

Trident
IMG_7934.jpeg

Red pines I think
IMG_7935.jpeg

J. Maple
IMG_7936.jpeg

Sargent cherry
IMG_7939.jpeg

E. Beech
IMG_7941.jpeg

P. Persimmon
IMG_7942.jpeg

Trident clump, three seedlings now fused
IMG_7943.jpeg
IMG_7944.jpeg

Wisteria
IMG_7945.jpeg

Atlas cedar
IMG_7940.jpeg

IMG_7945.jpeg
I wish I had taken the time to put up more protection over the years. Sometimes I feel like I propagate from seed just to feed the rabbits and field mice.
These days I’ve managed to fence a small area and have erected some shelving.

Back
Top Bottom