Seived Bonsai Soil for Sale

youngsai

Mame
Reaction score
Hello all, I have been selling bonsai soil that I mix and sieve myself, there is a good dealer of substrates near me so I buy semi-bulk and it turns out great for me, It is composed of-

1) 5 parts lava rock (1/4 inch and below)
2) 5 parts high-fire clay (montmorr clay)
3) 2 parts argulite (similar to shale, but more porous)
4) 3 parts pumice (either pumice or heavy perlite, which doesn't sink)
5) 1 part pine bark mulch (sieved so only the good stuff remains)

I am selling them on ebay and would very much like to carve out a little niche for myself in bonsai, and have heard others mention that soil is a good place to start. Your support is much appreciated!

Medium flat rate box- $11 + 13 shipping (average 20 lbs.)
Large flat rate box- $20 + 15 shipping (averages 30 lbs.)

PM me or post here is you are interested at all!

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't think it's against the rules to post up an ebay link. Why not help us possibly help you?

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
I would consider offering your soil two ways: organic as mentioned and pulling out the bark and offering an inorganic. There are plenty of bonsaists out there that use 0 organics in their soil. Have you or someone else used this mix successfully? For how long?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not interested in the mix, but would be interested in buying a box or two of pumice if you feel like selling components individually. I can't find pumice locally and have ordered it from a west coast supplier, but would be happy to work with someone closer to home. I would want real pumice, though - not perlite.

Chris

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm not interested in the mix, but would be interested in buying a box or two of pumice if you feel like selling components individually. I can't find pumice locally and have ordered it from a west coast supplier, but would be happy to work with someone closer to home. I would want real pumice, though - not perlite.

Chris
I buy these and very happy with what I got. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-16-Pumice...ertilizer_Soil_Amendments&hash=item3cd7e7e5a9

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8-Large-P...ertilizer_Soil_Amendments&hash=item20dafdf9f8

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Dario...I remember (now) that you had posted about them before. I'll have to compare the price with my other supplier.

terry

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I have dealt with this CA dealer. Have bought both soil & trees from him and am very happy with the dealings. I did have one tree arrive in poor condition and he replaced it with no questions asked.

Terry

youngsai

Mame
Reaction score
Nathanbs, yea, I guess I have three products really,

1)muckballs (made with aged manure and the fines I sieve out)
2)just the organics
3)with pine bark mulch mixed in (might switch this to milled peat moss

Berobinson, I am offering it to you all cheaper, which is why I didn't post the eBay links...

This same mix has been used by members of my local club for years very successfully, the clay is not turface, it's fired higher and as such it behaves far better. I have 100% satisfaction on eBay and I'm starting to see returning customers. The muck is new but I have been making it for about6 months and it works well. I use 6 month aged manure, & the fines from the clay and the lava.

youngsai

Mame
Reaction score
Here are the links to my E-bay auctions, but like I said, I'm offering to you all cheaper than that. Let me know what you all think and what I can do to make this soil better, thanks!

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
The size of the particles looks very uneven. Most folks want a mix in which all the components have (nearly) equal size pieces. Are you set up so that you can sift with that as the goal? You could offer a larger size as "standard soil" and use the smaller pieces for a "shohin mix". That seems like a pretty common practice of those selling bulk soil.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

typoolVT

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The size of the particles looks very uneven. Most folks want a mix in which all the components have (nearly) equal size pieces. Are you set up so that you can sift with that as the goal? You could offer a larger size as "standard soil" and use the smaller pieces for a "shohin mix". That seems like a pretty common practice of those selling bulk soil.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Ditto! I'de say take out that shale or whatever the larger stuff and you got something to sell. All I can find around my area is turface,grit,peat at a 4:2:1/4 ratio. I got that from Julian Adams from Adams bonsai. Works for him and works for me. We are in same climate zone as well.

youngsai

Mame
Reaction score
I definitely can do that, and thanx a lot for the advice.

So, between 1/16 inch up to 1/2 inch is standard, then 1/16 and below as shohin (minus the fines)? Let me know if this sounds better.

These are actually old photos, guess I should change them, the ingredients are generally the same, but I have better sieving habits now.

Top Bottom