Serissa Foetida and Light/Placement

Stubby

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have just purchased a Serissa and am wondering about its placement (I am in southern Ontario by the way). I have a southern facing window in which a Fukien Tea Tree has thrived for about 4 years on the windowsill. I understand Serissa’s are more fickle and require high light. It would receive great light there for sure but my concern is that the temperature might vary too much as I have been reading on some sites (Although to me the window does not feel draughty). Do you think I should leave it there on the windowsill in all that glorious light or move it back about 6 feet on to a table that sits along the west wall of the room. The room is bright all day long and direct sunlight rays would fall on it for a few hours a day. I could supplement with a growlight as well at night but if so, wondering if there’s some kind of day/night cycle I want to establish. I would like to get the tree installed as quickly as possible in the spot at which it is going to stay so I would appreciate any feedback.

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I vote for the windowsill. Light intensity is proportional to distance from the source (the window) squared, so moving it from one foot away to six feet away would reduce the light by 36 times. I don't think serissas are that shrimpy that temperature fluctuations from a window are going to kill them. In their native habitat, they grow outdoors and subject to the whims of the weather.

Stubby

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thank you! It appears that my serissa may have a pest problem? The leaves are turning yellow and brown at the tips and on one of the leaves I was able to see a microscopic little dot moving. I am attaching a picture. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 39D59088-D64B-4A7F-884B-605D2F53BFD8.jpeg
    39D59088-D64B-4A7F-884B-605D2F53BFD8.jpeg
    177.7 KB · Views: 6

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I wouldn't be surprised if you had spider mites. A test you can do to detect them is to tap/shake the branches over a white sheet of paper. If they fall off they'll be easy to see against the paper.

That said, how long have the leaves been dropping for? I can't tell you if pests are the only reason for leaf drop.

Stubby

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I got the plant about 2 1/2 months ago and it took a bit to adjust. Can you said yellow leaves off and on for a while dropping but it seemed to be doing all right over the last couple of weeks. Reeves I’ve been turning yellow and brown like this for about three days now.

Stubby

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Sorry, I hit send too soon!

I got the plant about 2 1/2 months ago and it took a bit to adjust. It had yellow leaves off and on for a while dropping for the first month or so but it seemed to be doing all right over the last couple of weeks. The leaves have been turning yellow and brown like this for about three days now.

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A first treatment could be showering the plant because spider mites prefer dry conditions. After that, I think most ready to use insecticides in the stores are labelled for spider mites but you should double check.

Top Bottom