Serissa...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I used the second, leaned to the left a bit. I use guise wires and branch wiring, just depends on the branch.

I have some varieties that trunk well (for serissa), but the purple isn't one of them. Pinky finger is the best I can do.

John

Not sure I would consider adding any more tropical a to the mix. After losing 4 last winter to propane take woes when arctic temps rolled in. I'm trying to stick with native friendly trees. But, knowing they can take 40F without fatal death...makes me more hopeful that this one I was given...has a leg to stand on fighting chance. (If we would have a hiccup with our furnace/propane tanks)

That was a very nice vert...I will be studying the tree at photo angle two...and attempt to bring out your vision...because I had absolutely nothing going for me. Though...pruning states to happen a bit later come early fall. To help with stress heat I will hold off on pruning now. So...maybe just plan at this time my next steps. I could toss a few guy wires on though possibly. Time will tell. But, I do appreciate your virt drawing...it gave me a direction for this tree.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
I use Milorganite. It's 5-2-0 and also has 4% Nitrogen. Available at Lowe's & Home Depot around here.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
You may use the drawing however you like, it is yours. I could send you the original if you want it.

I use miracle grow or what ever variant that is on sale, full strength, all year long. A dab of ironite every now and then, when it needs it.

I prune all year long, but almost every day in the summer. It really grows well in the summer heat, six inch shoots are thrown out constantly. So prune and wire away.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Walking out the door...but wanted to say thanks again John! So...you don't notice summer heat stress from pruning as suggested in that link Mat attached?

How about you Mat...do you prune all season long?

And MY WORD! Loved those photos of your trees Mat. They sure would make one consider working them. Glad that you and John both find success in doing so.

Reactions: mat

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I just read the info in the link. I don't know who wrote it or if it could be trusted as reliable. In my bonsai readings on the interwebs, I have found that there is a lot of info that is not true.

That being said, a lot that was in the link is good advice. However, they like the heat! They grow best for me from June through September. That is when you want to prune, when it is actively growing, this will help make pads. When it slows down you can still prune for structure. I have noticed that the tend to bloom more when it is cooler. One thing they don't like is summer sun. So like the author said morning sun, dappled afternoon shade. I have never had stress issues from pruning.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
David VanBuskirk wrote that article, the same guy that grew the tree in the first pic. He & Linda have some other awesome ones as well at their nursery in Ocala. http://www.dlnursery.com/

I do notice some heat stress here. It's not generally an all summer thing, usually just a few days of some yellow leaves. Mine do often sit in evening sun (just the way my yard is). With a little extra water, some shade and some fertilizer, they bounce back. I work mine pretty much year round. I try not to prune them every day - let them grow a bit, then prune, repeat. Typing in this thread has made me realize that I should make another trip to D&L and pick their brain some more about this species.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Send I have mine in full sun up against the house but the hot afternoon sun hits that side of the house. But the house somewhat offers it its shadow. So I'm pondering if I should move it. Though its not browned out and is setting buds.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I tried to follow your virt...but, to do so was going to leave me with a a tall trunk. I also hated to cut drastically that one left branch I was able to pull down. (Thinking it needs some of the width length trimmed on that left side a bit still) But because of your virt...you helped me see a tree within. And I do thank you John.

So before and after...
image.jpg

Just realized I didn't take a photo of that right lower branch trimmed. I noticed it after I took the photo.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My very first tree. Also, my very first casualty. I knew nothing and was told that it would do well indoors. I live in the Boston area.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thinking...to let this tree stay in its current pot until branches are set. (Which sounds like a good two years) It may need to stay in a training pot for a few years...but with the blooms as they are. I had this pot on the shelf. Goofing around.
image.jpg

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
See, I told you there was a tree in there. You did a great job, I looks really nice. I wouldn't worry about cutting that branch back yet, just wait until the others grow out some and trim them all back then so you will have a better idea of what you have. I like the pot, and the tree will too, they seem to like a deeper pot.

John

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
See, I told you there was a tree in there. You did a great job, I looks really nice. I wouldn't worry about cutting that branch back yet, just wait until the others grow out some and trim them all back then so you will have a better idea of what you have. I like the pot, and the tree will too, they seem to like a deeper pot.

John

Thanks John...
The pot was purchased for my lantana that didn't make it with my propane hiccup when it froze from arctic temps last winter. I had purchased it for that...it's a Glynn Harris pot. (Erin Pottery) I just cropped the photo...that branch is still just as long as it was in the initial styling. It seems to me...the leaves are getting a darker green with the fertilizer I've given it...especially with that last fish emulsion dose. Again, no rush in a pot though...those branches need set.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Covered in buds just waiting to bust open and share their beauty. I'm sure next week when the temps are to drop into the 40's it won't know what hit it...being moved back into the greenhouse at night.

image.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Quick question...when I received this tiny tree at the end of July. It was in really quick draining organic mix. It has now...pushed much growth and is less quick to drain when watered. Is the roots growing as quickly as the upper tree? Or is something else going on?
image.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know, sounds like roots, but I sure do like this one!

If you can get that one straight middle section a little bend you're money! If not. It is still way better!

Nice!

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don't know, sounds like roots, but I sure do like this one!

If you can get that one straight middle section a little bend you're money! If not. It is still way better!

Nice!

Sorce

That's what I thought...possible roots.
I was given advice...on doing just that. (How to add movement to that straight section) But to do it...will put a wrench into what I have attempted to get set right now. But, it's a young tree...so plans on doing something at some point with that straight section. It should still be plyable with their technique. It actually bends to the back some on that straight part now that I've forced it to go into some sort of style but from the angle it sits you can't see it. Curious if a pot angle change to a certain degree would play that up. If not...then, I will be working that area next. It really is a young plant...

Thanks Sorce

Top Bottom