Share your Neagari

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Update on my magic carpet spirea now that it's been wired and pruned and survived persistent aphid attacks. I'm trying to get better at taking photos of my trees.

Sarah Rayner pot

20230713_075051.jpg

I like the trunkline better from the back
20230713_075156.jpg

20230713_074936.jpg

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Work in progress : Cotoneaster horizontalis. The blackbirds were kind enough to leave a couple of fruit...

cotoH13_230726a.jpg

Acer campestre (Field maple). A root cutting made in 2016 from a specimen with very rounded lobes.
Needs fertilizing...

acerc2016b_230726a.jpg

I have other self-sown A. campestre with much more dissected leaves, one of them with a kind of cork-bark. It's in full sun and in a corner between two concrete walls, that's maybe why.
I wanted to air-layer it but my son went to trim the hedges and he did this one too, that hides the blue and the yellow bins (or trash-cans) :

acerc-div01_210813b.jpg acerc-div01_210813c.jpg acerc-div01_210813d.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Work in progress : Cotoneaster horizontalis. The blackbirds were kind enough to leave a couple of fruit...

View attachment 500015

Acer campestre (Field maple). A root cutting made in 2016 from a specimen with very rounded lobes.
Needs fertilizing...

View attachment 500019

I have other self-sown A. campestre with much more dissected leaves, one of them with a kind of cork-bark. It's in full sun and in a corner between two concrete walls, that's maybe why.
I wanted to air-layer it but my son went to trim the hedges and he did this one too, that hides the blue and the yellow bins (or trash-cans) :

View attachment 500016 View attachment 500017 View attachment 500018
Nice to see you back around @AlainK .

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Still very much a work in progress but this Currant yamadori I got a little over two years ago from Golden Arrow has been one of my most intensive projects while I'm learning the art-form. The overwhelming pot is sort of a placeholder for a few years while I pump some energy into it, the initial styling required the removal of a large volume of established branches that were simply too powerful and lengthy. I've also been weighing if I should've left more root exposed when the repotting happened, but was ultimately I was very conflicted about how hedgey of a profile I was looking to keep. I think that will be a matter ill reflect on relentlessly until the time comes to move it to its soul mate pot. 😅

I'd love to recieve any critique or input people have regarding the reimagination from the raw yamadori state, to a degree I've been trying to maintain some of that unadulterated natural energy while introducing touches of classical bonsai elements. I also have a few long term neagari projects in the work that I'm excited to see evolve!
20211206_115235.jpg
20220201_130945.jpg
20230520_092758.jpg

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
A little neagari in training. JBP, about 2 years old. I removed a little bit of the top soil to see what I'm working with. I noticed a root in the back was circling around (2nd pic). It's a pretty thick root, is it something I should trim off? Or will it sort of merge with the trunk as the tree thickens? This is my first time growing exposed root so still trying to figure it out!
IMG-6113.jpg
root highlight.jpg

Top Bottom