Shimpaku first steps

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a Shimpaku I received from Brent at http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/. Ridiculously nice material. I just have to hope I can manage to bring out its potential. I did initial work on this at the workshop Chris was kind enough to host recently. Chris was a fantastic host and it was very nice to meet up and pick his brain along with Frank Kroeker from Sonlight Nursery plus all the other guys who attended.

Initial work consisted of cleaning up the bark and removing unneeded/unwanted foliage and discussing possible future directions of the tree. I recently repotted into a cheap but large (approximately 10"w X 6"d X 4"h) mica pot, wiring it in tight and using a mix Chris was kind enough to send home with me.

No wire yet, the plan is to bring it back down next year after it's had a year to recover in its new home. Plans are in the works (I believe) for Michael Hagedorn to do a workshop and we decided it would be best to let someone with his level of expertise decide what can and what can't be arranged into a future design.

It's been said before and I'm sure it'll be said many times again but I really don't think the pictures do it justice. Some before and after pics.

Attachments

• shimp1.jpg
    shimp1.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 176
  • shimp2.jpg
    shimp2.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 106
  • shimp4.jpg
    shimp4.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 88
  • shimp5.jpg
    shimp5.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some more after pics. Many thanks to Chris and Brent for.. well.. everything.

Attachments

• shimp7.jpg
    shimp7.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 53
  • shimp8.jpg
    shimp8.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 43
  • shimp10.jpg
    shimp10.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 48
  • shimp6.jpg
    shimp6.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 54

waltr1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Brent does have some nice material and this one has potential. I've gotten a number of good ones from him.
How about a picture of the whole tree, at least to see your starting point.
walt

Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is an exceptional piece of material. Its primary challenge is that the large, thick branches reach out without taper to the edge of the foliage. I would need a great deal of time and study to figure out how to work this one, and I'd love to see what Mike or Boon or Suthin or Walter Pall would do with it. It has a nebari, a thick trunk, and lots of potential.

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Kinda looks like an octopus trying to grow an afro at the moment.

Attachments

• shimp11.jpg
    shimp11.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 102
  • shimp12.jpg
    shimp12.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 114
  • shimp13.jpg
    shimp13.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 86
  • shimp14.jpg
    shimp14.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 79

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Kinda looks like an octopus trying to grow an afro at the moment.

You are going to have to sit down with this tree for several hours, days, weeks, how ever long and contemplate the tree. There is no traditional style that this conforms to, so you are going to have to look for inspiration in connecting lines and carving jins in your mind. Take your time look at it from all angles even from below. Tip the pot this way, that way and turn it round and round; somewhere in there is a bonsai wanting to get out, you just have to find it.

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Vance. I know it's in there, it's just kind of teasing me at the moment though.

There is a fairly straightforward 1st branch, 2nd branch, back branch, apex design possibility in there with some heavy duty bending. That would involve removing the heavy branch from the base though and I'm not sure I want to do that. It might end up coming off but it's a possible design feature and I want to be very sure it's not part of the final image before it comes off.

If you're still going to be down around Des Moines this summer and we get a chance to meet up I'll be sure to bring it along and see if you have any ideas.

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Man, you had to start with the toughest stock you could possibly buy didn't you?? haha

I think if it were mine I would cut back the foliage very hard to get it to back bud as much as possible on the trunk. I know there is a bonsai in there but I really don't think it is in the current set of branches. What you bought from Brent is nebari and a fat little trunk with a future. You could also have someone like Marco, Suthin, Mike H., Boon, Kathy S., etc... do some grafting down low for you.

I think those branches are going to be a bit to much to bend like you want, now ofcourse this is all said based off pics.....

Best of luck with this!

Jason

anttal63

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
none the less jase i think this is an extremely interesting point you have brought up. what we need to sacrifice now to get better later. is it worth it or do we just have to make a tree now?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks Vance. I know it's in there, it's just kind of teasing me at the moment though.

There is a fairly straightforward 1st branch, 2nd branch, back branch, apex design possibility in there with some heavy duty bending. That would involve removing the heavy branch from the base though and I'm not sure I want to do that. It might end up coming off but it's a possible design feature and I want to be very sure it's not part of the final image before it comes off.

If you're still going to be down around Des Moines this summer and we get a chance to meet up I'll be sure to bring it along and see if you have any ideas.
I will most definitely be in Des Moines this summer. Date not set yet. probably the last week in August. I look forward to seeing you and your tree.

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nothing exciting, just an update. It's not brown and crispy so I'm content. Hoping to impose on Chris's hospitality again this spring and taking another look after a year in the pot.

Vance,
Still planning on hitting Des Moines later this month? I've been meaning to get up and see DaSu for quite a while and it's just a bit up the road.

Attachments

• Shimp.jpg
    Shimp.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 86
  • shimp1.jpg
    shimp1.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 74

riprap

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I'm late to this thread, but I do have some questions -- as another guy with a strong interest in junipers. These are also for anyone looking in who has the experience to answer.

(1) It looks like you removed the outer, shaggy layer of the bark, exposing that smooth, red-leathery surface that is characteristic of fine, finished shimpaku bonsai. Is there a reason to do that this early in the training? (I always thought of it somewhat like frosting the cake -- late in the process.)

(2) Was it important to get it out of its growing can at this stage, and before putting some major styling moves on the material? Until the roots re-establish in their new container, they will not give much purchase against which to do strong bending/training.

Thanks for any answers. Good luck with what I see as a challenging design project. (I am a fan of Brent's material and did a bit of spending at his place a few days ago.)

Barry

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lot of tip toeing going on here.

My teacher's first words would be:

"Lot of branch here..not much trunk. You choose better next time"

Cheers, Al

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Nothing exciting, just an update. It's not brown and crispy so I'm content. Hoping to impose on Chris's hospitality again this spring and taking another look after a year in the pot.

Vance,
Still planning on hitting Des Moines later this month? I've been meaning to get up and see DaSu for quite a while and it's just a bit up the road.

We came and went already. My sister-in-law's computer had crashed right before we arrived and I had no way of contacting you. I really feel bad about this. Hopefully next year will give us a better opportunity.

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Barry,
Sorry but the best answer I can really give you is I was doing what someone with a lot more experience thought I should do. I can say that cleaning the bark along with removing a lot of unnecessary foliage made the existing lines a lot more visible. As to the training pot it's in, if it looks like the best bet is to chop away and regrow all the brances then it'll be moved into a bigger pot.

Al,
I appreciate your frankness, tip toeing makes me think someone's going to bash me over the head! As to the material. The choice I made was who to go to for the material and advice on intial work. I trust Brent gave me the best bang for my buck with what he had available and I trust Chris's advice on where to go with it in the future.

I don't know much about this "bone sighing" stuff so I do my best to read a ton and listen to and trust what people who've been doing this for a while have to say. Which means I'll be filing away your advice on choosing better material next time as well. I hope/think/pray I've got something decent here but your point is well taken. If I'm able to do what I've planned and get to a workshop Mr. Hagedorn is doing in Kansas this spring we'll see what happens there. If he says to chop off everything and regrow the branches that's what I'll do.

Vance,
No problemo. The mugo I posted last summer croaked but I've got a couple more potted this summer and some still sitting in nursery pots. No need to feel bad about it. Maybe I'll even have fewer stupid questions by next year.:D

riprap

Sapling
Reaction score
Barry,
Sorry but the best answer I can really give you is I was doing what someone with a lot more experience thought I should do. I can say that cleaning the bark along with removing a lot of unnecessary foliage made the existing lines a lot more visible. As to the training pot it's in, if it looks like the best bet is to chop away and regrow all the brances then it'll be moved into a bigger pot.

Thanks for your replies. I don't need to say much, because you are working with a person whose vision you trust -- that's the concept of sensei/teacher. And it's not good to mix bits and snatches of advice from too many sources. But, yes, when I look at this tree I think about picking a trunk and growing a new set of branches. You should have many to choose from if the plant is growing vigorously. (Sorry if I tiptoed ...)

Barry

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't normally post here any more, but we cleaned the trunk in order to get a better view of everything. Cleaning the bark is a last effort for show, but it also reveals life lines where the dead portion might by concealed by flaking bark. The old bark is also a good hiding place for spider mites.

I look forward to seeing this one in spring again.

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Did you guys trim the long growth back to induce back budding? You had to do more then just clean bark??? That is cool that you guys get together and work on trees as a group.....

Jason

Top Bottom