Shimpaku juniper styling advise.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm finding that there are at least two bonsai nurserys around me within two to three hours. It took me 6 hrs to make my way to Green Thumb. I was happy just to see container shimpakus for sale.

Eric,

How did you take the cuttings off of your juniper? Did you air layer? Or can you cut the branch in spring and use root hormone? I am pretty new at propagating branches.

Matt, I'm about 30 miles west of you in Goochland County. Just curious what bonsai nurserys you're referring to?

Also, if you haven't checked them out already, take a looks at Strange's Nursery and The Gardener Nursery out by Short Pump. Although they aren't bonsai nurserys, you can find some decent material to play around with at both places. Strange's actually does have a small bonsai section but it's mostly junk - although you may stumble across an occassional gem. If you go to Gardener, be prepared to spend a couple hours because that guy can talk.

Matt Branches

Seedling
Reaction score
VA Fisher, I agree regarding strange's bonsai quality but I have found some necessities like pots and wire. Also I'm drawn to the Great Big Greenhouse's selection. I have not been to The Gardner yet, I'll have to check them out.

The three bonsai nursery's I'm wanting to visit but have not been to yet are.

Gardens Unlimited near Fredericksburg VA

Celestial Gardens in Brandywine MD

Park's Bonsai farm in Suffolk VA

Have you herd of or been to these places yet?​

Last edited:

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've been to Garden's Unlimited once. I showed up unannounced based on an old post I read that said they were open on Saturdays. Turns out that they are now open by appointment only, but they were nice enough to not freak out or call the cops on the stranger walking around on their property. They've got some really nice stuff there. My memory is a little hazy but I don't remember them having a lot of pre-bonsai stuff. It was mostly really nice, big, expensive stuff and out of my price range. I could have that wrong and it could have changed by now anyway. I haven't been to the other 2.

Another place that's open by appointment is Adams Bonsai in Lynchburg. He has some nice, affordable stuff and I found him to be very nice and helpful. He had JBP, Scots Pine, Azalea, Trident Maple and other stuff too. I would have liked to spend more time with him but he had someplace to be that day and couldn't stick around. I would definitely recommend that one.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Maybe if you took pictures of the base all the way around that could help decide the front.

Top Bottom