Shimpaku styling question and health

Matt02rt

Seedling
Reaction score
I am new to bonsai and have been practicing for about a year and a half. I took a class at natures way bonsai nursery and worked on this Shimpaku last fall. I am letting it recover this summer and would like to improve it next spring. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve the the tree? The current front is picture 1.

I also have noticed that the trees color seems a little muted or dingy. I am feeding it every two weeks with 3-4-6. It was getting afternoon sun but I have moved to to a shadier location. Any advice would be helpful.

dkraft81

Shohin
Reaction score
Junipers like the sun. My guess is the color change is either a reaction to the change in location, or the fertilizer. How often are you feeding?

As far as styling, I might do something with your second branch, the one above the jin, it is very straight.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Hold a white piece of paper below a branch and tap the foliage. If you see tiny bugs smaller then a typed period moving around that leave a brownish smear when you touch them with your finger, you've got spider mites.

Telperion

Seedling
Reaction score
The tree needs to pop foliage closer to the trunk.
Full sun. You can feed much more aggressively.
Have fun.

Matt02rt

Seedling
Reaction score
Dav4 you were right it must have spider mites. Little black dots that smear. What is the best treatment?

Dkraft81 I am feeding every two weeks with a granular 3-4-6 (tomato tone) and just recently moved to shade when I noticed the color change.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Dav4 you were right it must have spider mites. Little black dots that smear. What is the best treatment?
QUOTE]

Yuk...they are the bane of my existence! Spider mites are a pain in the rear. I've had to deal with spider mites with my junipers each of the last 5 summers since moving to GA. I've had some success using Ortho isotox sprayed every 5 to 7 days for 3 doses. I did this less then a month ago...the mites went away...until I found a few on one juniper yesterday. I'll be switching to a pyrethrin based insecticide and repeating the three spray protocol starting this weekend. There was a recent thread on the subject...here's the link. It may help

http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?10890-spider-mites&highlight=spider+mites

Top Bottom