Shimpaku styling tips

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got this shimpaku from Brent yesterday and just wanted to get some opinions on how some of you would go with in styling it.This is my first juniper so ive watched styling videos and read some books but ill look at it a while before i try anything

Thanks

Attachments

• shimpaka top.jpg
    shimpaka top.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 144
  • shimpaku one front.jpg
    shimpaku one front.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 157
  • shimpaku front.jpg
    shimpaku front.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 162

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
First prepare the tree so decisions will be easier to make.

Go through the entire tree cut away any dead twigs/foliage, and pull away all of the weak, wispy growth interior growth that will never become anything (i.e. anything that has been shaded out and is too weak to wire). Also, reduce to a single branch and clusters of branches, and remove any branches that are growing in the crotches of the branches.

Then try and locate the nebari. Brush away the soil until you find it, and if it is a few inches below the current soil level, cut away the rim of the pot so the nebari is easier to see.

If it were my tree I would also brush away the flakey bark, but that is a matter of taste.

Once all that is done, you can start thinking about styling. I suspect one or maybe two large branches will have to be removed. Lots of strong growth will have to be cut back as well, but it is hard to tell what right now.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
but ill look at it a while before i try anything

Good. If everyone who got a new tree did this we'd all be better off.

Follow amkahlid's advice, but be careful tht you don't end up with tufts of foliage out on he ends of the branches. Better to leave too much on that to take too much off at this point.

Just get it down to where you can see the branches and where they meet he trunkand larger branches.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the respones.I'll clean it up a little and go from there and post pics at later time

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did some cleaning up and some wiring on it today so far this is what i see that looks good to me.Any opinions or ideals welcomed.this is my first time working with junipers so looked long and hard and this is the direction i find interesting to me:)

Attachments

• juniper front.jpg
    juniper front.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 118
  • juniper back.jpg
    juniper back.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 119
Reaction score
just a personal opinion... I would angle the branches downward, which would probally tighten up your whole design... good start, I like where you are headed !!!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
i see what your saying Stacy i did it and it does look much better thanks

Reaction score
USDA Zone
heres ho it look now

Attachments

• juniper front.2..jpg
    juniper front.2..jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 116
  • juniper front.2.jpg
    juniper front.2.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Nice job on the cleanup and initial styling!

Reaction score
looks pretty good !!! If it were my tree I might do something like this... I would angled your trunk more in replanting, angle your branches down a little more on the left side of the tree, jin the lower branch on the right and shari the right hand side of the tree... just to give you some Ideas !!!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for compliments! i did some more wiring foa hour or so and turned some to show the best front to me

Attachments

• juniper second wiring.jpg
    juniper second wiring.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 91
Reaction score
I am digging it !!! I think it has come a long way and is off to a really good start... Now just let it recover.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Heres an update of the tree i repotted it about a month and a half ago.Its growing really good

Attachments

• Juniper 2012.jpg
    Juniper 2012.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 54
Top Bottom