Shogun Trident getting "the business"

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This little guy was an additional add on tree that came with a forest of larger old Tridents I got years ago. This one was chopped last yr instead of being kept as a tall forest option. The roots were less than perfect so after trying for a while to get it to sprout roots right where I wanted, I deciddd it was time to just thread graft them in there...
What it looked like right out the pot:
View attachment 129182
After removing soil and doing some root pruning
View attachment 129183
First seedling grafted in:
View attachment 129186
Two ins and wired into place
View attachment 129187
Some chopping to the bottom of the root ball to flatten it out
View attachment 129189
Slapped on a flap piece of cedar which I screwed it into
View attachment 129194
In the grow bag with most of the soil watered in
View attachment 129195
End product- rest of soil added and alter of pumice and lava large pieces across the top to discourage squirrels and protect the roots from soil washing away
View attachment 129196

Oughta be a good tree in a couple years... been thinking of chopping it lower. Something to consider down the road I guess.
BTW-- title was supposed to be SHOHIN Trident but my stupid autocorrect just refuses to accept that as a word and this site won't allow a title edit, so I guess this guy just got a new nickname! "Shogun" seems like a cool name for a Bonsai...

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can't seem to open any of the photos... I dig the name though, Shogun is pretty powerful!

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Yeah man, more like, Nogun Trident at the moment :mad:

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I can't seem to open any of the photos... I dig the name though, Shogun is pretty powerful!
Hmmm I posted a duplicate by accident, asked Bnut to delete one and now the one remaining is all buggered up! These are the pics in the order they were posted... I may have left the next to last one out this time.. not missing much there...
IMG_0007.JPG IMG_0008.JPG IMG_0011.JPG IMG_0012.JPG IMG_0006.JPG IMG_0005.JPG IMG_0004.JPG

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
More like Shocap-gun.

I was expecting a beefy monster, and all I got was a Slim Jim:p
Well again... it was just supposed to say "Shohin"... Which I agree would have been a better description! LOL.

It is deff not the Shogun... yet!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've actually been called a beefy monster.

Top Bottom