Shohin Cotoneaster - My New Obsession

Flounder61

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a little cotoneaster I bought at a local nursery. It started out about twice as tall, with multiple large, useless branches and a confused trunkline. I cut it WAY back and removed all superfluous branches, roots, and jammed it into this tiny little pot by Bonsai Fusion, not at all expecting the little tree to survive. Much to my surprise it flourished! Branches grew from everywhere, and every one of them had flowers! I wired all the little shoots into the general shape I was going for, and here is the result. Enjoy!View attachment 71371 View attachment 71372 View attachment 71373 View attachment 71376 View attachment 71377
When you did the hard prune on this beauty, did you seal the cuts? I hard pruned a cotoneaster 3 weeks ago, sealed the cuts, and only 1 or 2 buds have shown up. Should I have not sealed the cuts? Any advice would be appreciated!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When you did the hard prune on this beauty, did you seal the cuts? I hard pruned a cotoneaster 3 weeks ago, sealed the cuts, and only 1 or 2 buds have shown up. Should I have not sealed the cuts? Any advice would be appreciated!
Normally I consider sealed cuts to be more a thing for appearance, but I think it is prudent for cotoneaster as they are so susceptible to fire blight.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have been trying to put one of these over a rock for years. Probably 4x 5-7 year old trees with deaths every single time. Any tips? @AlainK?

Flounder61

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you, Penumbra.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Any tips? @AlainK?

The most common method is to tie the roots around the rock, and add soil to the base of the trunk. Then remove the soil gradually from the top. Here is an example with an Acer buergerianum, started in March 2018 with a seedling that I didn't really know where to go with. Not very good, but it will help you understand the idea of it. I used raffia that rots away in a few months' time, but you can use other kinds of strings, and I put it in a square pot for the roots at the base of the rock to spread :

http://krizic.eu/bonsai/photos/index.php?/category/362

What I did with my cotos is a bit different : I tied the roots around the rock, and added some soil (mainly peat and sand), then wrapped the whole thing with plastic sheet.

June 2008 :

20111230104857-79b92d48.jpg
20111230104901-53370ad9.jpg

October 2008 :

20111230104905-60885da0.jpg

I think I already posted these photos, i don't have recent ones.

And it's better to use a stone with holes and lines so that the roots can be more firmly clasped to the rock.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Any tips? @AlainK?

The most common method is to tie the roots around the rock, and add soil to the base of the trunk. Then remove the soil gradually from the top. Here is an example with an Acer buergerianum, started in March 2018 with a seedling that I didn't really know where to go with. Not very good, but it will help you understand the idea of it. I used raffia that rots away in a few months' time, but you can use other kinds of strings, and I put it in a square pot for the roots at the base of the rock to spread :

http://krizic.eu/bonsai/photos/index.php?/category/362

What I did with my cotos is a bit different : I tied the roots around the rock, and added some soil (mainly peat and sand), then wrapped the whole thing with plastic sheet :

http://krizic.eu/bonsai/photos/index.php?/category/16/start-45

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Very nice tree Brian! Do you have a sister named Carrie? ;)

Top Bottom