Shohin dwarf maple

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
This is a dwarf palmatum, unknown cultivar, I purchased from NEBG in a 4" pot probably a decade ago. I didn't really have a plan for it then. I kept it in a pot for a few years, then planted it in my garden for a bit, then dug it up when I moved to GA. I kinda sorta came up with a plan a few years ago. It got a minor chop and I started actually doing appropriate root work:eek:. Here are a few pictures from last year and last week. I'm very pleased at how wide the base of the trunk has become, and I think the nebari has really improved recently. Now, I just have to grow a new top:eek:.

ps- the picture of the tree coated in ice was taken just a few days before the repot:p.

Attachments

• DSCF1791.jpg
    DSCF1791.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 668
  • DSCF3119.jpg
    DSCF3119.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 706
  • DSCF3120.jpg
    DSCF3120.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 791
  • DSCF3121.jpg
    DSCF3121.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 1,048
  • DSC_0034.jpg
    DSC_0034.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 742

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I like how that big RMJ just towers over the maple in the last photo.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It's developing nicely! If I'm guessing correctly it appears to have been grafted. Would it the difference in bark texture eventually fade with age? I've not paid much attention to unions on older grafted A palmatums to see.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's developing nicely! If I'm guessing correctly it appears to have been grafted. Would it the difference in bark texture eventually fade with age? I've not paid much attention to unions on older grafted A palmatums to see.

When I first purchased this tree, I showed it to John Romano, who is the resident teacher at New England Bonsai Gardens. He thought it was probably grafted, but wasn't 100% sure. Honestly, I've never been convinced...if it is grafted, it was well done and I suspect that as the bark ages, it's texture will probably be even everywhere...we'll see in another 5 years or so.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
A hell of an expert job if this tree is grafted! Would not matter to me if you can't see it. Very nice and thanks for sharing!

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I only suspected a graft from the "v" pattern on the trunk. A really good graft might be able to make smooth transition from root stock to scion as far as dimensions, but a pattern might be left if bark color are different. Usually that would be one opposite sides.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I only suspected a graft from the "v" pattern on the trunk. A really good graft might be able to make smooth transition from root stock to scion as far as dimensions, but a pattern might be left if bark color are different. Usually that would be one opposite sides.

That's what John thought when we discussed the tree. That "v" pattern was more obvious when the tree was younger, but even then, it didn't appear like an obvious graft union, just slightly different bark textures/colors. As Mach said, if it's a graft it was done perfectly. I suspect once the bark in the upper part of the trunk starts to age, that "v" will fade away:)>.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If anything, it looks layered, from the bare-root shot.

I don't think it was layered, as the tree was maybe only 1 cm in diameter when I got it, and probably cost me less the 10 bucks. Also, the roots on the back of the tree really stink...they're there but are all growing straight down. I've been trying correct them for a while.

Last edited:

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I don't know how to recognize a grafted tree...

are pretty much all acer palmatum cultivars grafted on a regular acer palmatum rootstock?

I mean on an Arakawa you would probably notice it, but what happens with bloodgoods and deshojos etc?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

are pretty much all acer palmatum cultivars grafted on a regular acer palmatum rootstock?

I mean on an Arakawa you would probably notice it, but what happens with bloodgoods and deshojos etc?

Usually there will be a difference in the color or texture of the bark when comparing the rootstock and the grafted cultivar. You can usually see a scar, too, and the diameter of the two pieces might be different as they might grow at different rates. I really don't think this one is grafted, as I've got buds less then an inch above the root collar that are pushing foliage identical to the top.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Usually there will be a difference in the color or texture of the bark when comparing the rootstock and the grafted cultivar. You can usually see a scar, too, and the diameter of the two pieces might be different as they might grow at different rates. I really don't think this one is grafted, as I've got buds less then an inch above the root collar that are pushing foliage identical to the top.

Ahhhh ok, but if I was to buy a cultivar (or very similar) 99% probablity that it is grafted? Because I read that the roots on most cultivars aren't as good as a stock palmatum. I have a friend that has a bloodgood and the cuttings are hard to root...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Missed this the first time... neat little guy. Roots are my weak spot, I am trying to get better on that front too.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Go to a nursery and look at the bases of fruit trees. They are usually the worst grafts I have ever seen. Looks like a tree was shoved into a trunk of a larger tree or vice verses. Most J maples at box stores have pretty bad bulging grafts at the bottom if the trunk. Look for it and you will see it.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Kotohime??

I don't think so...the leaves are closer in size to a regular palmatum and the internodes aren't too bunched together.
attachment.php

Top Bottom